PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite in Autumn

Indranil Sircar
11-27-2009, 02:06 PM
This week I spent a day photographing at Yosemite NP. Although there was some ground frost, the water is still not frozen. With very little flow, the stillness of the water allows for some nice reflected images. I found the shadow across the upper Yosemite Falls rock face a bit distracting but still liked the overall colors of the foliage and the reflection. Lightened the shadow and applied a bit of vignette in addition to few layers adjustments. All C&C are welcome.

~ Indranil

Dave Mills
11-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Indranil,The shadow over the falls is minor since the falls are not significant within the image.You captured a nice reflection but if possible I would have moved a bit more to the left in order to get more of the mountain without the tree merge. The cone is a nice addition to the foreground but it is a bit dominant considering the whole. I also would have tried to position it more to the left.(if I had that ability)
Letting us know what the camera specs were would be helpful in the image evaluation.

Indranil Sircar
11-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks Dave. Agree on showing more of the rock face... next time! Here is a repost with a slightly different crop removing the vegitation on the left without the tree merge. Here is the camera spec -

40D + 17-40mm @ 17mm, 1/30 sec, f/22

Dave Mills
11-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi, Actually I don't mind the tree on the left. What I was referring to(should have made myself clearer) was when the image was composed moving to the left would of shown less merge on the mountain by the trees. Then the trees would of acted more as a frame. Looking forward to seeing more from Yosemite...

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Indranil,
Greetings from Bosque! I don't mind the shadow side either. I do feel the pinecone in the FG is a bit too artificial....even if you didn't place it...it is overpowering the image. Nothing you can do about the bare lighter/brighter trunks....but perhaps next time out consider using them as compositional elements...as Dave mentioned moving left and getting the rock face in the clearing....with the trees in a right rot line.....just some food for thought for next time out.

Indranil Sircar
11-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Dave, Roman, Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it a lot. I see your points. I have other images more from the left and will post them later.

Robert Amoruso
11-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Indranil,

I am going to agree with Roman on the pinecone. The reflection of the trees was enough visual interest to support the FG.

Ed Vatza
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I think everything has pretty much been said. When I first looked at the image I wasn't sure if it was "about" the mountains, the reflection or the pine cone so I wasn't sure where to focus.