PDA

View Full Version : High and Hidden...

David Roach
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
So, I heard of a Great Horned Owl nest in a mahogany at the Coe Visitor Center (entrance to Everglades National Park). I stopped at the visitor center on the way to Anhinga Trail and it was not hard to locate the nest. It turns out a large group of birders were using this as their starting point for the day on an Audubon Society outing. They were all gathered at the tree looking up with binos. I went to where they were gathered and it was a very steep angle. The nest was right near the top of the canopy of this big mahagony. I put on the 2xtc and found a small hole in the canopy from which to reach this beauty (with a better angle of declination). I am amazed in these lighting conditions this image was usable. 1DMKIIN 400DO 2xtc ISO 800 F10@1/160

Alfred Forns
02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
David I think the youngster was amazed looking at you guys !!!!

Did go over the other day to check out the baby Always an impressive sight You did well with the 2X Eliminated some of the clutter This little guy moves around a lot Might be possible to get a better angle if you wait it out !!!! From your position I think you got the best image possible !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-16-2008, 06:15 AM
I like the eye contact and expression of the owlet. The circumstances do look challenging maybe he will come lower after the first flight lessons.

Arthur Morris
02-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Good job of finding the best slot. Exposure and composition are fine, but this one does not work from me mainly because of the oof branches in front of the lower half of the bird. And filtered light is an image killer. (A cloudy over the sun would have helped that.) later and love, artie

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Congratulations David on finding this little baby . It is always such a thrill and I love the eyes in this image but I agree with previous remarks. Many thanks for sharing.