PDA

View Full Version : My first ever Dunlin sighting

Brian Barcelos
11-26-2009, 09:03 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2583/4136705153_539596d9bf_o.jpg

Not only fist time spotting one but I also got a few images. I was very excited when I seen these guys sleeping with some Sandrelings and Least Sandpipers. Light angle was not the greatest because me and the birds where on a little rock that I had to step into the cold Atlantic waters to get to and some were sleeping directly to my right and left. I had to remove two whole birds and a bill from this image as they were so packed together that I couldn't get any clean shots. They were never worried about my presence but shortly took flight because of a loud and aggresive Greater Black-backed Gull that started harassing them.
All C/C greatly appreciated

Canon EOS 50D
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/640
Av 6.3
Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 400
Tamron 200-500mm
Focal Length 500mm
Hand Held

Jim Crosswell
11-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Congratulations on your first sighting and capture. Good job at removing the other birds and braving the cold water!

Harshad Barve
11-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Congratulations on your first sighting and capture
Nice compo and control over techs , lovely raised foot
TFS

Melvin Grey
11-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Nice image, interesting pose and great editing work. I know the Dunlin sub species you get in the US generally have longer bills than our ssps arctica and schinzii, which we get in the UK, but if I saw this along our coast I would tend to think possibly Curlew Sandpiper - with the slightly huntched up stance accounting for the legs looking slightly shorter than you would expect for CS. Check this one out with some of your US shorebird experts - I would be interested to hear their comments.