Sensing Method : One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode : Auto exposure
White Balance : Auto white balance
Focal Length 35 : 157mm
Lens : nikkor 105mm f:2,8 VR
HH laying on the ground...

Julie Kenward
11-27-2009, 09:07 AM
I can't believe I'm the 21st person to look at this image and nobody's commented yet. C'mon people...even the newest to photography can find something they like or dislike about this image. Don't be afraid to step up and make your comments known. It helps us all to grow as photographers and helps us to better understand our potential audience!!!

Adrian, you did a great job of capturing these little guys (I want to say straw mushrooms but am probably wrong...) I do wish the shorter one was closer to the two taller ones - the distance between them feels a bit elongated. I also wonder if you took any photos at a wider aperture to help blur the knothole of the tree limb behind them a little bit more? I would think you could have gotten away with f8 or even 5.6 here and it's always a good idea to try more than one setting.

The bottom of the image feels a little dark - granted, it IS supposed to be a bit dark - but a reflector at the base of the image might have thrown a little more light down that way and given you a tiny bit more detail in that area. You might try a shadow/highlight adjustment in pp to see if you can soften where the fill flash fell off.

Overall, nice environmental image - good focus and details, well composed. Tweak that lighting a bit and I'd say you have a really nice mushroom image.

Jerry van Dijk
11-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi Adrian, nice set of mushrooms! I like your composition, but do agree with Jules on the aperture. Also, parts of the image are a bit grainy (noise?), especially the OOF area in the LL corner. I like how the flash makes the mushrooms stand out from the BG, without harsh lighting on the subject.

Mike Fuhr
11-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Very nice feel to this image. I agree about the placement of the knot - it draws my eye. Why did you go with the high ISO and not open the aperture? You could have also went with a long ss. Just curious.

I also agree about the low number of posts/comments on the macro forum -- where is everybody? :(

Adrian David
11-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Very nice feel to this image. I agree about the placement of the knot - it draws my eye. Why did you go with the high ISO and not open the aperture? You could have also went with a long ss. Just curious.

I also agree about the low number of posts/comments on the macro forum -- where is everybody? :(

When you have the wind to "help" you, you need a bit higher shooter speed...:)
To get a soft light from direct flash, I have chosen a high ISO so that I could use a low power for the flash output.

Julie, agree with all that you have said! Thank you all for the suggestions!

Danny J Brown
11-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Delicate is a nice description here, the way those frail little objects are hanging over the bluff. I've looked at this image several times -- I like it a lot!

Mike Fuhr
12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
When you have the wind to "help" you, you need a bit higher shooter speed...:)
To get a soft light from direct flash, I have chosen a high ISO so that I could use a low power for the flash output.

Julie, agree with all that you have said! Thank you all for the suggestions!

Been there with the wind issue! Thanks for the clarification -- I always like to know the thinking that goes into shot specs.

Adrian David
12-02-2009, 02:57 AM
Been there with the wind issue! Thanks for the clarification -- I always like to know the thinking that goes into shot specs.

You're welcome, Mike!
English, is not my native language, and it is a huge difference between English and Romanian.. languages...That's why I often, don't write too many details regarding the shooting conditions,and don't give as many comments as I wish...Sorry for that! I will try harder...:)