PDA

View Full Version : Road to the Kalahari - REWORK

Morkel Erasmus
11-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey everyone...

Based on the feedback I got earlier in the week (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50431), I did a slight rework tonight.

I ran a duplicate layer through Photomatix in Tonemapping to enhance detail and even the spread of light.

Masked this onto the original post, then ran selective colour layers on the sky for blues/cyans and on the foreground for reds and yellows. Also saturated reds on the dune in the distance as per Paul Marcellini.

Your comments? I think it has more punch now with subtler detail enhancements.

Ed Cordes
11-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Overall effect is nice. Unfortunately, I see a rather large halo around the trees. It is especially noticeable on the left.

Morkel Erasmus
11-27-2009, 12:55 AM
thanks Ed...I struggle to see it but it might be my laptop monitor.

Robert Amoruso
11-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Morkel,

I am seeing the halos as well but let me comment on the composition.

I really like how you composed this. The road is an obvious large compositional element in the image but I like that you placed it on the far left and it works to strength the left side of the image be leading to the two trees and the BG. on the left are the large more prominent trees.

Saturation on the hill is a good choice (per Paul's suggestion) and that helps to provide interested in the BG. Of course the clouds are a big plus. Well done all around on the comp.

Morkel Erasmus
11-29-2009, 08:20 AM
thanks for the feedback and comments Robert.

here is a rework - it is strange, I am not seeing the halos on the large size file but when I downsize it becomes apparent...will it show on a large format canvas print?

Dave Mills
11-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi Morkel, Good way to test is run a smaller print and see if the halos are noticeable. If they are then they certainly will be in a larger version...Not technical but the only way I would know...

Jerry van Dijk
11-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi Morkel, great work on the colors and details. The halos are a common artifact of Photomatix around complex darker objects such as trees against a sky. I had similar problems, but wasn't able to fix it, so can't help you there. I do know that they were visible in the large filesize images as well, so they might pose a problem in printing.

Elmar Venter
12-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Morkel, this is really nice. I can see why you want to print it on canvas. Well done.

Morkel Erasmus
12-06-2009, 12:49 PM
thanks Elmar, Jerry & Dave!