PDA

View Full Version : D300 Goes Astro - Valentine Day's Moon

Jose Suro
02-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi All,
It was clear last night and I had wanted to test my D300 on night shots and it seemed like the perfect night for it. Unfortunately the seeing was pretty horrible, although it doesnt show at this reduction and scale. Shot this through one of my telescopes - an 11-inch, 2500mm FL, F10, Nexstar GPS. Image is full frame.

Thanks for looking.

Best,

Jose

http://jsuro.smugmug.com/photos/254859526_sM4Ja-O.jpg

Robert Amoruso
02-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi Jose,

Looks nice and sharp. Is this orientation like it was last night, or did you rotate it. I like it as presented just fine, just curious.

Jose Suro
02-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Jose,

Looks nice and sharp. Is this orientation like it was last night, or did you rotate it. I like it as presented just fine, just curious.

Thanks Robert,

The bright side of the Moon is always pointing at the Sun. On Waxing Moons the Moon is up before sunset so this is the correct orientation when facing East. Once the Moon transits over the Meridian ( on Feb 14 transit was at 19.08 hours local time) then the brightest side would be on the bottom, when facing west. Chasing the Sun so to speak :). I shot this just before transit time.

Thanks again!

Jose

Alfred Forns
02-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm impressed Jose !!!! Really like it Excellent detail btw do you also do others with your telescope Would love the see !!!!

David Kennedy
02-16-2008, 01:34 PM
So do you have your telescope set up with a motor so it moves automatically in accordance with the rotation of the Earth, or do you use a fast shutter speed?

Jose Suro
02-16-2008, 02:04 PM
So do you have your telescope set up with a motor so it moves automatically in accordance with the rotation of the Earth, or do you use a fast shutter speed?

All but one of my scopes are motorized and computerized. Interestingly, while you see the telescope change position over a period of time, the telescope is stationary. It is the Earth doing the moving :). The motors counteract the Earth's rotation.

Best,

Jose

Harold Davis
02-16-2008, 09:21 PM
very nice photo, jose. great detail in this one!!

Michael Pancier
02-17-2008, 09:26 AM
looks great. can't wait for you to post some star fields with this set up ...

Jim Poor
02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Makes me want to dig out my telescope from a while back.

Rich Ikerd
02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Beautiful detail Jose. Can't wait to see some of your images of the upcoming lunar eclipse (clouds permitting).