PDA

View Full Version : Extra Weight

Mike Fuhr
11-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I took this photo last summer in SC -- this poor bird had a fairly good size fishing weight hanging from its bill. My initial thought was that it had swallowed the hook and the weight was hanging there as a result. Turns out I think it was just tangled around his beak somehow. I was also concerned that he couldn't feed, but that fear was put to rest when my brother-in-law tossed a small fish his way -- he gobbled it and several others up pretty quick and with no problem. I saw what I thought was the same bird the next day and the weight was gone.:D Anyway, lighting was a bit harsh but wanted to share the story...

D300
100-300 F/4
300mm
F/7.1
1/400
ISO 200

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for sharing the story Mike. It's sad to see things like this and I feel sharing these types of images with each other and educating the public are definitely the way to go. However, some folks will not care regardless. But worth trying. If we can change the attitudes of the majority then we are winning. :) I think maybe members should look at what they have in this genre of images and James & Co could put a page together for educational purposes?

Regarding this image, I am not fussed about the light. I know it's harsh, but the image tells the story and you as the photojournalist in this instance had to take the image without waiting for the perfectly lit heron with the sinker in the bill. Maybe you could try burning the white patch under the bill and see if that helps somewhat. I like the BG too.

Greg Basco
11-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Mike, great environmental image. Though the light is a bit harsh, you handled it well, and I really like the composition and background. Glad to hear this guy was back to normal the next day.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Axel Hildebrandt
11-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Good to hear that the heron got rid off the fishing stuff. I like the eye contact and BG and would tone down the highlights some more.

Jim Crosswell
11-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I think I see a tear in the eye! Great educational image.