PDA

View Full Version : Red Headed Barbet (Male)

Wyatt Olson
01-02-2008, 03:01 PM
I accidentally posted this in the captive bird section earlier, but here it is again.

This is my first post, all the images on this site are incredible, truly remarkable work. I'm only 16 years old so I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

This is a male Red Headed Barbet that I shot in Costa Rica this summer. The bird was wild. I was shooting from a small birding porch in the rain-forest.

Canon Rebel XT
300mm F/4L IS USM
Handheld
1/200 s at f/4
AI Focus, Evaluative Metering
ISO 400
Flash at -1 w/better beamer

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii70/wyattolsonphoto/RedHeadedBarbet.jpg

Thanks,
Wyatt Olson

www.wyattolsonphoto.com

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I thought it looked like a free and wild bird :)

As suggested in the HoM gallery, I would have used ISO 400 for one extra stop Depth of field, or better yet, shutter speed.
The rule is your s/s should be at least equal to your focal length for hand holding. So, in theory, you should be shooting at least 1/300.
Little things that you'll be picking up. Great to get started at your age, a life time to get better :)

Hope we can help you improve!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Beautiful bird and nice BG. I agree with Fabs' suggestions. The bird is also a bit centered in the frame.

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Welcome to BPN! I would crop this landscape, leaving a little more room to the right. It looks like it could use a little more sharpening as well?

Linda Robbins
01-02-2008, 09:57 PM
You've captured a species I would love to photograph! You've received good advice above and I would add that you might consider cloning out the small branch in the left corner if your ethics allow. You did a good job capturing a nice head angle here. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Linda

Glenn Bartley
01-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Great first post Wyatt. I have fond memories of these guys from Costa. I think that this one might actually work better as a horizontal image.

Cant wait to see more :)