PDA

View Full Version : Booted Racket-tail Hummingbird

Norm Dulak
11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Nikon D300 with tripod-mounted Nikkor 80-400 mm vr lens @ 185 mm
ISO 800 (with Topaz DeNoise noise reduction applied PP)
Shutter priority, 1/500 sec, f/5.0
Hot shoe mounted SB-800 strobe TTL flash assist
Matrix metering -1.0

Following a highly enjoyable visit to the Galapagos Islands, my wife Linda and I spent a number of days at the Tandayapa Bird Lodge, in the mountains of Ecuador. The image shown here was captured at that hummingbird haven.

Although there is a somewhat bright area in the "boot" of the hummingbird, I don't feel that it is sufficient to require correction.

While we were there, there was a fairly steady misty/rainy condition, which made us conduct much of our photography from under the eves of the lodge. Still, numerous feeders there and support from the very helpful and knowledgeable staff produced what I think was wonderful photographic experience.

All C & C are welcome!

Norm

Manos Papadomanolakis
11-25-2009, 11:11 AM
nice looking bird with a beautiful pose,colors

Stu Bowie
11-25-2009, 11:13 AM
A well balanced comp Norm, and I like the angled hover of the HB. Good looking little guy, with a lovely long tail. I would run some NR on the BG.

Doug Brown
11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
The composition is great. The hanging flower's shape compliments the shape of the hummer. The image, in particular the flower, looks flashed (which of course it was); I would try to tone down the flower and its leaves a bit.

Greg Basco
11-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Norm, indeed the composition is really nice, and it looks like you did pretty well in what was a tough shooting situation. I do agree with Doug that the image looks flashed, which is tough to avoid given the circumstances requiring fairly strong flash and having that flash on-camera. For me, it's not so much that there are flash reflections or anything, just that you had to use strong frontal flash and that affects the quality of the light. Perhaps toning the flowers down in post as Doug mentioned would be good to explore as it is a nice image. I would try to get rid of a bit more noise in the BG too to improve things even more.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Norm Dulak
11-25-2009, 05:10 PM
The composition is great. The hanging flower's shape compliments the shape of the hummer. The image, in particular the flower, looks flashed (which of course it was); I would try to tone down the flower and its leaves a bit.

Thanks Doug for your comments!

I hope that this re-post adequately addresses your concern over the "flashed" look.

Norm

Doug Brown
11-25-2009, 06:16 PM
It's a definite improvement Norm. A little NR on the BG (like Greg suggested) and you have a winner!

Axel Hildebrandt
11-25-2009, 06:16 PM
I like the image design and the repost is an improvement. I would run NR on the BG.

Jim Crosswell
11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
I like the composition with the long draping flower and tail. I agree with running NR on the BG.

Harshad Barve
11-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Killer composition Norm , Repost looks better
TFS

Kiran Poonacha
11-26-2009, 02:24 AM
The repost works well, nice pose and the handing flowers add very well to this, congrats..

Norm Dulak
11-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments. Another pass with Topaz DeNoise has eliminated BG noise in my psd master file, even when viewed in the darkest regions at 300%.

Have a terrific Thanksgiving holiday!

Norm