PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo

Danny J Brown
11-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Attached is a shot of an animal rarely seen in Missouri except as occasional road kill in the southern half of the state. Not a real pretty sight but I was flabbergasted to find one rooting around in the field near our farm. Late afternoon light still harsh and full frame center comp. Check out the front claws on this dude....and all that hair coming out of weird places. Thanks.

Canon EOS40D; Canon 300 F4 L; 1/100; F/5.6; Manfrotto 055XB w/488RC2

Harshad Barve
11-25-2009, 12:23 AM
excellent image Dany , lovely details and sharpness , First time for me
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Excuse my ignorance I never knew until now that these were natives of North America.

Fabulous shot, which could probably only be improved by a more open position for the snout.

Morkel Erasmus
11-25-2009, 02:40 AM
lovely low angle here and a very odd creature, probably related to our pangolin which has similar features, albeit an elongated body and pointy scales - also eats termites and ants.

like the use of DOF here Danny, with great detail - how close did it allow you?

Sabyasachi Patra
11-25-2009, 03:07 AM
I wish the light were better. May be moving to the right to get a side profile would have helped in avoiding the shadows on the other side of face. It is always interesting to find animals in your backyard. I hope there would be many more species in future.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

david cramer
11-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Great detail on this one. Frame is too tight, so backing up would have helped, if possible. As a native Texan I happen to think these ugly critters are beautiful!

Kiran Poonacha
11-25-2009, 07:26 AM
would have loved to see more enviran around Danny, still loved the pose and details here.. TFS

Danny J Brown
11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
lovely low angle here and a very odd creature, probably related to our pangolin which has similar features, albeit an elongated body and pointy scales - also eats termites and ants.

like the use of DOF here Danny, with great detail - how close did it allow you?

I was about 10 - 15 meters away after crawling across the field toward it while it was eating/grubbing. When it finally realized I was there it bolted like a shot and was completely out of site in seconds - very fast little animal.

Danny J Brown
11-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Great detail on this one. Frame is too tight, so backing up would have helped, if possible. As a native Texan I happen to think these ugly critters are beautiful!

The definitely have beautiful geometric forms on their armor.

Danny J Brown
11-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Excuse my ignorance I never knew until now that these were natives of North America.

Fabulous shot, which could probably only be improved by a more open position for the snout.

Happens to me all the time, Ken. That's what is wonderful about BPN. Thanks.

David Fletcher
11-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Excellent shot Danny. Love the low angle of view. All that crawling was well worth it. Fine shot.

Carl Gandolfo
11-25-2009, 12:26 PM
..... also eats termites and ants.

In my neck of the woods, they also eat a lot of Michelin's and Firestone radials! :)

Nice, sharp image!!

Betsie Storm
11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Lovely image, probably the most detailed and closest I have seen of this species. Well spotted and captured! I really like the pinkish tones, too. Thanks for sharing story & image Danny.

Danny J Brown
11-26-2009, 10:44 AM
would have loved to see more enviran around Danny, still loved the pose and details here.. TFS

Hey Kiran - You probably wouldn't have enjoyed the evironment that much because the critter was on a golf course!:) Thanks, always, for you interest and comments. Take care.

Marc Mol
11-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Lovely detail here Danny with a nice low angle, only nit would be to have a little more room all round.

Steve Canuel
11-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Been awhile since I've seen one of these. Nice job getting some eye contact and I really like th edetailed patterns in the shell.

DanWalters
11-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice light and I really like the detail in the armadillo.

Stu Bowie
11-28-2009, 04:28 AM
Hey Danny, thanks for sharing a species I havent seen, and you must have been fairly excited to have him right in front of your lens. Good sharp detail captured, and I agree, those claws are something else, especially on such a small creature. Do these guys have any enemies?

Charles Glatzer
11-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Dan,

Way cool image, full of detail! I agree on ithe subject being too tight in the frame. Placing the subject a further to the right would enhance overall the comp.

Best,

Chas