PDA

View Full Version : Too much habitat?

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/9305871-lg.jpg

Snowy egret in habitat. 40D. 300 f/4 non-IS and 1.4x. iso 640. 1/1000. f/5.6. overcast conditions. hence exp. comp +2/3. I dont recollect doing any PP on it. wish the feet were fully visible.

I know this is a lot of habitat....but for some reason, I liked it. Do you?

All opinions welcome.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I like it Kaustubh. It's different from the similar, clinically perfect images many folks post IMHO (me included at times). The bird lives there and you are capturing natural behavior in a natural setting. I do wish the leg was more visible too. Maybe you could have waited for it to move forward a bit more?

Phil Ertel
11-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi Kaustubh, I also like the image. I do not mind the background as I not think it distracts from the bird. I agree with your comment concerning having both feet completely visible. I would also have preferred if the head had been angled a little bit more toward us. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Crosswell
11-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I like the natural habitat. It is nice to see the egret in his element. I agree with the HA and feet comments. Nice image!

Axel Hildebrandt
11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I like the focused pose, exposure control and sharpness. The rocks are not ideal because of their shape but I don't find it too distracting. A bit more head turn would have been nice.

Randy Stout
11-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Kaustubh:

I agree with Axel that the rocks are a bit blocky, but overall I like the picture. I enjoy the leading diagonal line of rocks which leads us in to the subject, and then carries us on deeper into the image.

I might try a version with the rocks in the upper left toned down just a bit so they don't tend to pull us out of the frame. They say it is good to have an exit for your eyes from the frame, but I like it fairly small and subtle so your eyes linger longer in the frame and only at the end exit.

Head angle and feet mentioned, but I still think it is a strong image.

Randy

Danny J Brown
11-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I love the booties on these guys. Nice shot Kaustubh.

James Salywoda
11-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Great pose as this Snowy waits to strike nice shot I like the angle of capture.