PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Mountain Day2

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-24-2009, 03:35 PM
This was taken the next morning when the gales off of Lake Superior with 50 mile hour winds and snow squalls. I had to turn my back when it snowed as the snow stung my face. This was one of the calm moments.
MKIII
17-40 canon lens
tripod rrs ballhead
1.0@ f-16
iso 100

Harold Davis
11-24-2009, 07:03 PM
beautiful colors and i like the way the river flows diagonally through the frame. it just seems like it is missing some sky. would love to see more up top.

Robert Amoruso
11-24-2009, 07:08 PM
This is a very interesting interpretation Dennis. Is this HDR? I feel the image is made stronger by cropping off the top to below the far BG on the right side. This strengthens the leading line of the river and the opposing line of the FG ridge.

I am posting from a laptop in a car so limiting my review to the composition.

Dave Mills
11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi Dennis, both Harold and Robert gave differing views on the images makeup and I see merits in both.As stated by cropping the sky the diagonally placed river becomes more dominant also strenghtening the foreground ridge.
By adding a bit more to an interesting sky and seeing the distant mountains it also gives the viewer more of a sense of place. I to wonder if this in an HDR.

Nick Palmieri
11-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Nice colors. I also think it would be improved if you cut out the sky and crop to place more emphasis on the river. Nice colors. Love the snow mixed with the fall colors.

Roman Kurywczak
11-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Hey Curly,
Always risky in the wind.....especially that strong. I admire your determination though. Very good advice given above on the comp. I does appear a bit soft of blotchy in the MG......so my bet is it was either movement or the HDR's didn't line up quite enough due to the strong wind. A good portion of the trees has lost interest because it is so vast and partially because there isn't as much detail in there from either the snow of just crispness of the leaves. Could have been you were just freezing too! Not an easy one to offer recommendations for as crouching down would bring the sky more into play but risk losing the line of the river. I think more sky would lessen some of the MG issues but in those tough conditions.....lucky you got anything!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks everybody for your help and this was a single image with tonal contrast in Nik. I will post a different perspective as I have learned and learning more every time I post. Some of the blotchy stuff is most likely snow on the lens

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Here is a different view about three minutes later without the foreground and a snow squall coming in

Roman Kurywczak
11-25-2009, 09:32 AM
I like the repost.....river curve leads you in and you can clearly make out the snow squall. Very nicely done!

Harold Davis
11-25-2009, 04:58 PM
the second one rocks! love it!!!!!