PDA

View Full Version : 1D Mark IV - Field Report

Axel Hildebrandt
11-24-2009, 09:51 AM
It's about wedding photography but maybe of interest anyway. He claims the high ISO noise performance is better than that of the 5D Mark II: http://www.jeffascough.typepad.com/jeff_ascough_blog/2009/11/canon-1dmkiv-at-a-wedding.html

Doug Brown
11-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Pretty glowing review. I'm glad I've got mine preordered, because I suspect they're going to be in short supply.

Jan Wegener
11-24-2009, 10:38 AM
that sounds really promising. Can't wait to get one in my hands :)

The ISO 1600 looks pretty darn good :) I do not care much about higher Iso, as I have rarely used more than 800 so far.

I assume this blog entry is a bit biased, but it still looks like there's finally a fantastic camera coming for us Canon shooters ;)

Axel Hildebrandt
11-24-2009, 11:25 AM
The high ISO 100% crops look quite good. A beige BG is probably not the best way to judge it but it would be great to be able to use ISO 1600 with little noise.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Pretty glowing review. I'm glad I've got mine preordered, because I suspect they're going to be in short supply.

That might really happen if it gets good reviews. I would not be surprised if there were many people who skipped the Mark III but might be in the market now.

Pao Dolina
11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
I do hope my reservation holds. I'm supposed to get the 1 of the first 5 bodies to land locally on the 2nd/3rd week of December.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-24-2009, 06:53 PM
I do hope my reservation holds. I'm supposed to get the 1 of the first 5 bodies to land locally on the 2nd/3rd week of December.

I think if you ordered at a reputable dealer then there shouldn't be any problems. I look forward to the first real-life images of a production model.

alain vandal
11-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I was afraid that the replacement body of my recently stolen 1D3 as become a noisy replacement with high MPX density. With such review it's less scarry.

Ed Cordes
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
That might really happen if it gets good reviews. I would not be surprised if there were many people who skipped the Mark III but might be in the market now.

I am one who skipped the Mark 3 and preordered a Mark 4 (with deposit). I am an early preorder at Hunts. I can't wait to get it in my hands.

Pao Dolina
11-24-2009, 11:34 PM
I think if you ordered at a reputable dealer then there shouldn't be any problems. I look forward to the first real-life images of a production model.
My concern stems from those who will buy all 5 at the same time or if some bigger client comes in and 'requests' expediting an order.

Then the dealer will say 'it got stuck in Customs for 1 month' then I find out someone else has one already.

Jan Wegener
11-25-2009, 07:55 AM
I am wondering why he's allowed to post his images, while most others are not....

Axel Hildebrandt
11-25-2009, 09:09 AM
I am wondering why he's allowed to post his images, while most others are not....

Good question, maybe because he did not test it back in September but just a few days ago. My best guess is the camera is closer to go into production or they simply haven't seen the post yet. :)

BTW, he answered quite a few comments on his blog and you can click on the posted images for larger files.

Carl Gandolfo
11-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Maybe because it works in Canon's favor? I see Rob Galbraith didn't get one to test....

Axel Hildebrandt
11-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe because it works in Canon's favor? I see Rob Galbraith didn't get one to test....

The first short reviews in September were quite positive, too.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Good question, maybe because he did not test it back in September but just a few days ago. My best guess is the camera is closer to go into production or they simply haven't seen the post yet. :)

I read this as an indication of the camera ready to hit the shelves. I guess in a few days, the initial reviewers might get the go ahead to show their images and videos. The ISO 1600 looks very clean. Lets wait for 100% crop of ISO 3200 and ISO 6400.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi