PDA

View Full Version : Major Mitchell's Cockatoo (Lophochroa leadbeateri) Glupot Reserve SA Australia

Rod Warnock
11-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Major Mitchell's Cockatoo (Lophochroa leadbeateri) Glupot Reserve SA Australia
Canon EOS 40D Lens 100-400mm L IS USM at 360mm ISO 400 F10.0 1/1000 available light 20 October 2009
Taken on the last afternoon of five days at Gluepot Reserve, the first day had been warm and relatively calm with almost cloudless days, the next three days became bleak and very windy with the result that few birds came into drink at watering spots. I abandoned Gluepot and went to Stockyard Plains Disposal Basin Reserve for 4 days which proved fruitful then the weather became warm and dry so I went to Gluepot for the final day in the Mallee.
Images flowed relatively easy and I was about to packup for the day when this sole Major Mitchell's Cockatoo came in to drink, raised it's crest nicely for two shots then it proceeded to climb down to drink. Five shots and the day was finished !! This image was the first. Oh! BG is a clump of Casuarina trees that form a dense backdrop for this watering spot

Hope you enjoy
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Nevil Lazarus
11-24-2009, 03:20 AM
Gday, Rod,
I Love Major Mitchells, and have spent great times with them at Lake Cargelligo. You have done SO well to get the raised crest. The colours are fabulous.
Regards,
Nevil

Paul Lagasi
11-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Busy background doesn't bother me that much...crest up, sharp, exposure..another beauty...thanks for sharing

Harshad Barve
11-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Talk about the crest ,
Lovely image with beautiful bird
TFS

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2009, 04:55 AM
You handled the light very well Rod! I only wish it were facing away from the perch, but that's not a biggie. Congrats!

Mike Veltri
11-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Wonderful shot with the raised crest, the background is busy but still a very nice image.

Rob Drummond
11-24-2009, 05:54 AM
G'day Rod
Wonderful detail and your timing on the crest is perfect. Good job on the exposure too.

cheers
Rob

Gerard Satherley
11-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Wonderful image Rod. Love the raised crest.

Kiran Poonacha
11-24-2009, 07:22 AM
wished for a cleaner BG, still the raised crest attracts all the focus in the frame, nice perch too.. congrats..

Steve Zamek
11-24-2009, 11:36 AM
This is a lovely image of a spectacular bird. I have no problem with the busy, but dark, background. It contrasts nicely with the bird and provides a nice textured background, allowing the bird to stand out well. I find, however, that as my eye moves to that fantastic crest, it is drawn over the the perch immediately to the left. This upper portion of the perch is also a bit brighter than the rest. I think if that upper part of the perch were darkened a bit, similar in tone to the rest of the perch, it would not intrude so much. I would also considering darkening up the bright section at the very bottom of the perch. Still, it's a wonderful image as is. Congrats.

James Salywoda
11-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Fantastic image of this beautiful bird I love the raised crest and excellent detail.