PDA

View Full Version : Reflections of Balanced Rock at Lake Roman

Roman Kurywczak
02-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I figured you were getting tired of the night shots.:D First let me say for those of you who have been there numerous times.........this is NOT a digital manipulation or combination! Straight shot with the Mark lll and a 17-40 lens @ 29mm. F22 at 1/50 of a sec. The title gives a little away as to the how. I've been doing this shot for quite a few years with many different versions......and as far as I can tell........only 1 who have this. First time with "iceberg".
I'm going out in a few hours and will try to answer questions as they come in..........otherwise will tell all tomorrow.:eek: Only minor/normal corrections in CS2. Camera was placed on a rice bag (2nd clue).
Opinions always welcomed,
Roman

Small group photo tours
www.roaminwithroman.com (http://www.roaminwithroman.com)

Alfred Forns
02-15-2008, 08:58 PM
So many possibilities !!!!! The first thing that comes to mind is trying an HDR? Would love seeing detail on the far formation and the small shadow on the left

Not sure how low you were? On the ground with the rice bag? How about going the other way and climb a ladder !!!!! Would alter the horizon and show off the water Such a nice place I can see how I would be addicted !!!!

Judd Patterson
02-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Not exactly a region of the U.S. associated with many lakes. :) This must be a shallow depression that sometimes fills with rainwater/snow melt? Great job to work the scene and capture these nice red rock reflections.

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi Alfred and Judd,
Next time I will try the HDR if not a pano. Judd is a little warmer as this is a shallow depression. Ladder won't work because the lake is only 3ft. wide by 2 inches deep. That's the last of the hint's. I'll post the rest tomorrow.
Roman

Robert Amoruso
02-16-2008, 09:57 AM
I like the low view though I find that chunk of ice in the FG distracting in the middle of the image. Perhaps to one side may have been better. Looks like you have detail in the shadows and should try some Shadow/Highlight adjustment.

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi guy,
Here goes..............This is a rock depression that nornally holds about 1/2 inch of water when it rains. I dam up (rice bags) the right side where the water flows out to make lake Roman. I also make a dam about 4 feet from the front lip to be able to lay down flat on the ground to take the image. The base of the camera is laying on the ground to get any kind of reflection (next time I'll use live view). Now the fun part........it's the desert! Water isn't there often........what to do? carry it. I bring at least 2 collapsable water containers from home (5galons each) and fill it at hotel room (in this case hot water). As I poured it out into the snow, it formed this "iceberg" (4 inches big) I positioned it on a small rock so it wouldn't flow away. Unfortunately, I couldn't reposition where Robert (I agree) wanted as I started to lose the reflection. By the way....the lip of the rock hides the road and parking lot that are right there at the base of Balanced Rock. I did use other props (rocks) and may post them at a later time. That's why you've never seen this shot!

BillPelzmann
02-16-2008, 04:17 PM
My goodness! You've been a busy little beaver & your hard work paid off !
I would never have gueesed that you brought your own water !!
I have seen other reflection shots from that location, but they were limited to much smaller pools.

It would be interesting to see some of your other versions.

Bret Edge
02-19-2008, 02:27 PM
I know this spot well, Roman. For the most part I enjoy the image but there just aren't enough reflections of the red rock to make it work for me. The mini-"iceberg" is a nice touch. There is another much larger, all natural pool that forms during monsoon season in the Balanced Rock area.

Roman Kurywczak
02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Bret,
I guess it pays to live there! Is it the one closer to the road? If it is, I've seen it but couldn't get the sign and road out of the way.
Roman

Kaushik Balakumar
01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Very creative Roman :)
I'll surely keep this idea in mind ;)
I remember one of ur posts/images near a lighthouse (?); from a bridge where u used water puddle for a reflection in a similar manner.