PDA

View Full Version : Red-tailed Hawk

Jason G. Harrison
11-23-2009, 10:38 PM
This hawk perched here for a few days in a row while I was waiting for some Mississippi Kites. They "were" perching there every day until this one showed up and would not allow them to land on this branch. So I made the best of it and got some nice images of this bird from the first morning light to mid day light.

It was eye balling a chipmunk and was about to launch and attempt to get it, but it aborted the attempt prior to lift off and thus just offered me an "almost" shot.

D300, 600VR, 1.4tc, f/7.1, ISO 400, 1/1250th SS, +.7EV

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/3031_S.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, C&C always welcome.

Jason

Ilija Dukovski
11-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Very interesting and unusual pose, the light is very nice, makes great off-white color on the plumage.
I wish the RH side of the perch was not covering the tail. A tighter crop might work here too.
I really like the look on the bird and the visible talons. Very nice image.

Danny J Brown
11-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Beautiful shot Jason. Awesome detail, great pose and good work on the sky which can sometimes be a pain getting the blue right in these photos.

Todd Frost
11-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Love the pose and the sharpness of this is outstanding. The intense look says he is ready for business.
Todd

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Love the pose and it's pin sharp! I wish for a touch more room on the RHS. :)

Dave Barnes
11-24-2009, 03:29 AM
Very well exposed, pin sharp and great colour. Must agree with the comments on the comp and perch covering the tail. I would also consider cloning out the twig sticking up behind his claw.

Ofer Levy
11-24-2009, 05:38 AM
I love this! Great pose and exposure control. Would like to see more room on the right. Looks slightly oversharpened.

Kiran Poonacha
11-24-2009, 07:12 AM
just wished the tail was not cut, loved the lose, nice light, good details, the perch and Bg work well. the intense looks puts it over the top, congrats..

Jim Crosswell
11-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I like the pose and intent stare in this image! The feather detail under the wing is really interesting as well.

Suzanne Huot
11-24-2009, 08:23 PM
You took advantage of the opportunity offered and have captured the hawks intent perfectly ,i would allso clone out the offending stick ,in a perfect world you would have the tail as well ,Superb catch regardless