PDA

View Full Version : Mute Swan

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
This evening I was photographing at a local marsh near Peoria, Illinois called the Banner Marsh. As the sun was going down I took this image of a Mute Swan which populate this marsh in perfusion. I thought the outcome was extreemly good and I wondered what the experts would think. Pleas let me know your toughts as I know that you are always extreemly good with your critisms. Shooting info below:
Nikon D700
2009:11:23 16:55:16
1000mm
1000mm (in 35mm film)
1/250 sec, f/6.7
Mode: Manual
Metering: Spot
Exp comp: +1/3
ISO: 800
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 79.7MB
Image size: 2918 x 1907
Color space: sRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Danny J Brown
11-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi Wheeler: This is an excellent composition of a fabulous subject. The angle of the shot is nice and it really works to make the water and the background look great. It looks like the lighting was a bit problematic here as the swan's head/face is strongly shadowed from the angle of the sun as is most of its body. The sliver of light that is falling on the critter is a bit too hot, thus causing loss of detail. Hope to see more of these guys from you. Thanks, and please don't be discouraged by my comments.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-24-2009, 08:50 AM
I like the pose, composition and mood. You could try to tone down the sunlit parts as they are partially overexposed. Maybe you will get another chance with the sun behind you.