PDA

View Full Version : Yellowjacket

Steve Maxson
11-23-2009, 05:38 PM
This Aerial Yellowjacket (Dolichovespula arenaria) was foraging on goldenrod flowers back in August. It was a cool early morning and the wasp was moving slowly so I could get close without fear of adverse consequences. :) The background is a gravel road. 40D, Canon 180mm macro, 1/80, f/8, macro twin flash, hand held, auto focus. I removed some flash-generated spectral highlights. Comments are welcome.

Julie Kenward
11-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Steve you really did a great job on capturing the YJ! It's so in focus and really pulls your attention to it. Only thing I'd do is maybe reconsider toning down a few more of those really bright spots as they are still pulling my attention from that lovely wasp. Also, you might brighten the catch light in the wasp's eye - give it a little more punch so the eye of the viewer goes there instead of the white areas on the plant.

Keep 'em coming and BEE careful out there. hahaha

Danny J Brown
11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
What a beautiful shot, Steve. You really achieved some focus with that little critter and hand held at that. Color contrast is beautiful, by the way.

Charles Wesley
11-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Steve,

Very nice result. Anyone that can HH this one with a 180 and flash setup, could put a hurt on someone.
Afraid to shake your hand. Thanks for sharing...

Anita Bower
11-28-2009, 06:14 AM
So that is what those insects that sometimes sting me look like. Excellent sharpness and detail. I agree with Jules' suggestions.

Don Lacy
11-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Steve, Another fine image the yellows really look nice against the BG and you captured plenty of detail on the YJ.

Bob Allen
12-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Terrific! I really like being able to see its mandibles. Crop is good too. Jules' comments about highlights were spot-on; check with the squint test. Charles beat me to the line about HHing the 180 & dual flash ;7)

Vida van der Walt
12-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Stunning shot Steve. Wonderful detail, comp, colours and bg.:)