PDA

View Full Version : First Mid-Atlantic BPN GTG!

Roman Kurywczak
11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Just want to announce the first BPN get together for the Mid-Atlantic region.
Date is Dec. 19th from 2pm till sunset at Barnegat Lighthouse SP jetty; http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/barnlig.html .
I will be there along with Denise Ippolito. Artie has told me he will be there if the schedule allows! Let us know if you can make it and send me a PM if you need any more info!

Bill Jobes
11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Great idea, Roman !

For everything you and others need to know before the party, read my article on Barnegat Light birding in the December issue of "Birders World" magazine. :D

It's on news stands, at book stores, and in mailboxes now! :)

Roman Kurywczak
11-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up Bill! Will check it out!

denise ippolito
11-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Will have to get a copy!

Arthur Morris
12-04-2009, 05:42 AM
I will be there barring anything unforseen.

Mr. Jobes, will you be joining us?

Bill Jobes
12-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Good Morning Mr. Morris.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, will be to attend the first Mid-Atlantic BPN GTG. :D

Yes sir, I will be there! :)

Looking forward to seeing you, Artie !

Arthur Morris
12-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Ditto. I hope that we have a good turnout plus maybe dinner afterwards.

Anybody know a decent motel nearby? Nothing special is fine.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I will be there, too, if nothing unforeseen happens.

Grace Scalzo
12-10-2009, 04:26 PM
When I went there last year, I stayed at Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel. 119 E. 9th St, Ship Bottom, NJ
1-877-LBI-SUNN.

It was very nice (and cheap. ) There was hardly anyone there, ask for 2nd floor, ocean view.

Grace Scalzo
12-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Here's the link. http://dslbi.com/

Deborah Kral
12-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on this, Artie. I was considering driving down after seeing Denise's images! If I can get someone to horse-sit that evening, I will definitely try to make it down!

Arthur Morris
12-12-2009, 07:19 AM
YAW. The long range forecast if for COLD. I will be there for a few days.

Ed Vatza
12-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I've been off in Never, Never Land the last week or two or three but we (my wife Barb and I) are still hoping to make it next week.

Bill Jobes
12-12-2009, 09:04 PM
It would be great to meet you, Ed ! :)

Arthur Morris
12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Roman, I will be there barring any blizzards or unexpected hospital visits or accidents <smile> Exactly where will we be meeting on Saturday afternoon? (Have you gotten my e-mails?)

Roman Kurywczak
12-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi All,
Just be aware that the gates do get locked.....so park outside the lot near the wall or around the corner if you plan on staying towards sunset! Let's say we will meet aound 2pm......this will give us time to walk out onto the jetty! Do be aware that the rocks can be slippery and with the wind......very cold!

Great news Artie......responded today!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-13-2009, 12:03 PM
I just posted this in the other thread, here just in case:

They lock the gates at 4 PM. The forecast for the 19th looks pretty good, partly cloudy, 40F, 10mph wind.
<!-- / message -->

Deborah Kral
12-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi All,
Just be aware that the gates do get locked.....so park outside the lot near the wall or around the corner if you plan on staying towards sunset! !

Hi Roman - still working on finding someone to feed the horses but if I can make it, where exactly am I meeting everyone? I've never been to Baregat. Would someone be kind enough to post directions? Thanks!!!

Anita Bower
12-15-2009, 06:51 AM
I have a really stupid question: what do you expect to be photographing? Mostly birds? Landscapes? Macros? I'm not sure what to expect, which makes it hard to decide whether or not to make the drive. I would like to meet you all. :)

Axel Hildebrandt
12-15-2009, 07:05 AM
I have a really stupid question: what do you expect to be photographing? Mostly birds? Landscapes? Macros? I'm not sure what to expect, which makes it hard to decide whether or not to make the drive. I would like to meet you all. :)

Anita, there are shorebirds such as dunlins, turnstones and purple sandpipers, as well as harlequin ducks, loons, long-tailed ducks, sometimes northern gannets and there is also a lighthouse.

Dave Blinder
12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
I should be there, looking forward to meeting everyone. I expect to get there pretty early in the day and will probably hang out for dinner... despite being a wimpy vegatarian. haha!

Arthur Morris
12-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Here's the link. http://dslbi.com/

My first floor (aka cheapest) ocean front motel room was $117.something per night but despite that fact that I was not staying on the specified days listed on their website to qualify for a free night with a two night stay they gave me that as a "winter special." So it won't break me. :)

Roman Kurywczak
12-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Hey Deborah,
Here's the link to the state site w/address and directions; http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/barnlig.html

Not a bad price for NJ Artie!

Jason Ambler
12-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Count me in. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Jason

denise ippolito
12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Looking forward to meeting everyone!!:D

Axel Hildebrandt
12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
There is now snow in the forecast for Saturday, I'm not sure how much, though.

Anita Bower
12-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Since I'm not a bird photographer, I'll pass up this meet. Another time.

Jason Ambler
12-17-2009, 03:00 PM
From NOAA :

Saturday: A chance of snow before 1pm, then a chance of rain between 1pm and 4pm, then a chance of rain and snow after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 36. Breezy, with a northeast wind between 18 and 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

I will keep my eye on the weather and we all know how meteorologists can be wrong but 100% cloud cover and blowing rain/snow does not sound very promising for photography.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-17-2009, 04:46 PM
There is a winter storm watch in effect that sounds very discouraging: http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/661:19?phenomena=WS&significance=A&areaid=NJZ026&office=KPHI&etn=0007

Roman Kurywczak
12-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi All,
Just got off the phone with Artie......even though the weather appears to be deteriorating.....he is already there (although w/o internet!) and I will also be heading down regardless......although I am going to be going down a bit earlier!!! He did have a few Harlequins this am. Let's say we meet at the lighthouse at 1pm and Artie may actually be there in the early morning!
Remember that the jetty may be slippery and they are expecting a 20 mph wind.....so it will be cold!!!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I might go tomorrow instead. Driving in this kind of weather is not my favorite thing to do. Too bad. :(

Jason Ambler
12-17-2009, 06:51 PM
If the weather is as they say I will also be passing on this get together but I hope that another one is planned sometime soon as I look forward to meeting everyone.

Jason

Dave Blinder
12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
If the weather is as they say I will also be passing on this get together but I hope that another one is planned sometime soon as I look forward to meeting everyone.

Jason

Ditto, hopefully plenty of people go to keep Artie company.

By the way, I'll be doing regular winter local visits to Wallkill National Wildlife Refuge and Great Swamp NWR all winter for Hawks, Owls, Shrikes, etc. If anybody else is interested, shoot me a message or start a new thread.

- Dave

Arthur Morris
12-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I was able to get away early from my Mom's and was out on the jetty by 3pm today (Thursday). Got some great stuff. I am meeting Denise on the jetty early tomorrow morning. As near as I can figure, clear mornings will likely be much more difficult than clear afternoons. I may bail on Saturday if the weather forecast looks accurate (and bad!). Northeast wind in the afternoon will be right in your face... If you wanna say "Hi," try to make it tomorrow morning or tomorrow afternoon. I will update again tomorrow about midday.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Were the harlequins at the jetty this afternoon?

I will be there tomorrow morning, too.

Arthur Morris
12-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes, but only 7. :) :) :) Three drakes and four hens. And a few Purple Sandpipers.

denise ippolito
12-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Nice to get one on the rocks:)

Axel Hildebrandt
12-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes, but only 7. :) :) :) Three drakes and four hens. And a few Purple Sandpipers.

Better than nothing. :) There were quite a few more last year and a few weeks ago, too.

Arthur Morris
12-17-2009, 09:31 PM
For a primer on safety while photographing on rock jetties in winter, see tonight's blog post here: www.birdsasart-Blog.com

Dave Blinder
12-17-2009, 09:34 PM
This NJ photographer actually slipped into the jetty last year (he's fine now though):

http://www.howardsview.com/Jetty/Jetty.html

Axel Hildebrandt
12-17-2009, 09:38 PM
While it is not as bad as Andrew's Point on Cape Ann, when the water sprays and/or it is below freezing it gets quite slippery there. The bruises from my last visit are almost healed. :)

Arthur Morris
12-17-2009, 09:50 PM
This NJ photographer actually slipped into the jetty last year (he's fine now though):

http://www.howardsview.com/Jetty/Jetty.html

Wow. That guy was lucky to get out alive.... Great story and pix of the rescue. And the tide coming in....

Bill Jobes
12-17-2009, 10:24 PM
The weather update tonight on one Philadelphia TV station calls for very high winds and snow beginning Saturday morning, continuing Saturday night with up to a foot of snow in parts of South Jersey. :(

I'll likely not be making the trip Saturday, but may be able to come out tomorrow.

For those who make the trip, have fun, great photography, and most of all, please be safe! :)

Arthur Morris
12-18-2009, 11:03 AM
This morning was fair to OK. Axel, Denise Ippolito and freind Micheal, and I all avoided falling down though that was the main topic of conversation.

I will be on the jetty this afternoon and then likely trying to beat the snow to Long Island by leaving early tomorrow. Hope that many of you can make it this afternoon.

Grady Weed
12-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Due to the expected bad weather, 1-2 feet of snow, my wife and I will not be there. Perhaps another time Roman.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-18-2009, 03:49 PM
We should definitely reschedule it in the not so distant future.

denise ippolito
12-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Grady, I won't be making it either due to the weather-maybe we can plan another one. I was looking forward to meeting you and the others very much.:)

Joe Campanellie
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Hope some of you manage to get in there early. We live in Maryland and they are expecting some pretty heavy snow. At least for us. Not sure if it is headed in your direction or not.

Had a big corporate party tomorrow to photograph but they already canceled that. Not a flake on the ground yet and it already cost me a couple of grand...! Sure hope no one is getting married tomorrow.

Sorry I'm going to miss you Artie. Have a great time. Headed down your way after Christmas for an 85th birthday celebration in Vero.

Take Care...

Roman Kurywczak
12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey All,
OK....it official!!! We will not be having the BPN GTG this Saturday!!! The snow forecast is definitely makeing that not a good idea and we will reschedule soon!
Spread the word!!!

Arthur Morris
12-19-2009, 04:46 AM
4:36 am on Saturday and no flakes in sight but I am leaving now for my Mom's on Long Island. It was a short but great trip for me. Bill Jobes dropped by yesterday afternoon to say "Hi" and I ran into old friend and IPT veteran Alan Nodes and his girlfriend. And this was the girlfriend of the guy I posted in Avian last night :) Here is a link to that one: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=406326#post406326

Bill Jobes
12-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Love the muted colors on her, Artie ! She's obviously glad to pose for you ! :)

I trust you're safe at your Mom's house by now; this storm is going to pack a wallop!

Arthur Morris
12-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks Bill. I am at Mom's getting ready to head out into the snow storm to try out my Alan Murphy songbird set-up techniques! BTW, in case you forgot: the book is "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue.

Bill Jobes
12-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Got it ... thanks!
:)