PDA

View Full Version : Last One from San Diego

Arthur Morris
11-23-2009, 07:02 AM
I have been at Bosque for a few days now with a wonderful group. This images was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering - 1 1/3 stops: 1/3200 sec. at f/11. Pretty much right out of the camera with and ACR conversion.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Kiran Poonacha
11-23-2009, 07:10 AM
loved this guru, nice setting, the open bill works well, I really like the water reflections it makes the image for me.. congrats..

Randy Stout
11-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Artie;

Looks like the bird is saying goodbye to the day. Specular reflections on water work well here.

A higher shooting angle would have reduced the huge bulk of black in front from the shore. That would be a different picture, not necessarily better.

Randy

denise ippolito
11-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Artie, Really nice colors and sharp silhouette. I like the open mouth.

Ilija Dukovski
11-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Excellent two color comp. The calling pose adds a lot.
Can I ask how did you get the deep orange color in ACR?
Did you adjust the temperature, or is it as shot?

Manos Papadomanolakis
11-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I really like the open beak,water reflections...color!

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Artie...more than anything less, I like the compostion and the shape of the perch. And of course I like all the other things like open beak and color tones.

KD

Stu Bowie
11-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Good placement of the gull, and the silhouette of the gull and the outline of the rocks works well against the colourful BG. Well captued.

arash_hazeghi
11-23-2009, 02:19 PM
love the composition on this one, ocean BG is great and open beak adds to the bird. colors are great, I'd experiment with cloning out the oof horizon just above the cliff edge on the left side. TFS

Bonnie Block
11-23-2009, 09:31 PM
This one works for me. I like everything about it. The sparkling reflections to the right make this one. Great mood.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2009, 02:58 AM
This is a grea silhouette Maestro! Love the colors and light reflecting on the water's surface. I also reckon the gull's yawn/call enhances the overall aesthetics, but you already knew that. :)

Mike Fuhr
11-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Very nice silhouette -- nice and sharp and great pose. I find myself wanting more of the ocean in the background though.

Arthur Morris
11-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Artie;

Looks like the bird is saying goodbye to the day. Specular reflections on water work well here.

A higher shooting angle would have reduced the huge bulk of black in front from the shore. That would be a different picture, not necessarily better.

Randy

I was on the beach as high as possible with the tripod legs pulled in. The bird was on an offshore rock. :)

Arthur Morris
11-27-2009, 05:50 AM
love the composition on this one, ocean BG is great and open beak adds to the bird. colors are great, I'd experiment with cloning out the oof horizon just above the cliff edge on the left side. TFS

Hi Arash, Yes, that dark bit is a bit distracting but if I clone it out to sky then the ocean has disappeared on the left side of the rock!

Arthur Morris
11-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Excellent two color comp. The calling pose adds a lot. Can I ask how did you get the deep orange color in ACR? Did you adjust the temperature, or is it as shot?

The color was pretty much there. Above it the original converted "As Shot" in ACR with the Black slider at 5, Brightness at 0, and contrast at 25.

Thanks all for your comments.