PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah - 'ring of fire'

Steve Kaluski
11-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Taken some time ago in the Mara, Kenya, I am always looking for different ways on how to convey a subject. Most of the time its very straight forward and possibly rather predictable, but now and then (especially with digital) you can experiment :)

Shot in that great window of early light, this Cheetah had just brought down a baby Impala, heart racing, chest beating she took time to draw breathe, but was always mindful that there could be someone else eager to take the kill.

Steve

MKIII 500f/4 f/6.3 1/200 ISO 400 -2 comp beanbag

Arthur Morris
11-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi Steve, The backlight here is quite dramatic. The image is reminiscent of Miguel Lasa's killer BBC Polar Bear and Andy Rouse's black light stuff. Love the image, the backlight, and the breath. I wish only that the nose were rim lit.

Have you considered a version with no detail on the cheetah?

Thanks a ton for your membership support and welcome.

Steve Kaluski
11-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Indeed, I was with the young man AR when this was taken, having had inspiration from him and know him well :-)

I think losing the detail probably would help and keep things very simple, simplicity is often the best route.

Thanks for the warm 'welcome' and look forward to learning & sharing.

Steve

Marc Mol
11-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Looks very nice to me as presented Steve, wonderful rim light and a great opportunity well captured!

DanWalters
11-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Very dramatic image. Love the red rim light and the breath on the right side.

David Fletcher
11-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Excellent and dramatic shot Steve. The breath is a nice touch. Strong image!

Stu Bowie
11-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Excellent rim lighting effect Steve, and the hint of breath puts this over the top. Well done.

Roger Clark
11-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Stuart,

I too like the image as is. The detail on the cheetah adds a lot in my opinion, but not too much to detract from the rim light.

Roger

Harshad Barve
11-24-2009, 04:24 AM
Big welcome to BPN and what a dramatic image , I liked this very much as posted
TFS

Doug Brown
11-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Nice image Steve. I particularly like the red-orange color of the rimlight.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-27-2009, 04:06 AM
Hi Steve,
This is a fabulous image. It did remind me of Miguel Lasa's much celebrated image.

I like the breath and the rim light. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi