PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Mink

Jason G. Harrison
11-22-2009, 11:21 PM
This was a species I have tried and tried to photograph with not much luck I will add. Of all my attempts, on one particular day, me and a buddy were set up waiting for this family of mink to travel down this creek, like they have done in days past while we were scouting.

While waiting, we heard and saw some movemente behind us and down stream and turned and looked and there was the male (I believe due to the white chin) moving down the bank in the tall vegetation. I quickly turned and picked out the rock, hoping he would come out there and offer a shot. I saw that it was going to be badly backlit, so I decided to try and over expose more than I normally would, in an effort to bring up some detail on the mink.

To my surprise, the mink came right out on the rock for about 10 seconds before moving on. In post I tamed down the hot spots in the background due to my over exposure and selectively brought up the shadows. Did not turn out how we planned but I did get an image of a wild mink.

Taken with a D300, 600VR, 1.4tc, f/6.3, ISO 400, 1/400th SS, +.33EV

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/1377_2_3x4h_S.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, C&C welcome.

Jason

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-22-2009, 11:39 PM
What an cute pose and a very pleasing composition. Wonderful eye contact too. Like this a lot Jason and I am happy he cooperated for you !!! Thanks for sharing.

Danny J Brown
11-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Jason - Nice shot in tough light of an extremely elusive and nocturnal animal. I've dealt with these little fellows before at Forest Park in St. Louis spending hours (days) to get an average shot. Good job.

DanWalters
11-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Great pose and eye contact. I like the surrounding vegetation as it shows the environment.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-27-2009, 04:09 AM
It is good that finally you managed to get the image of the species. I like the overall environment shown in this image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi