PDA

View Full Version : Florida birds in January

Roger Clark
11-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about coming to Florida in January. Probably fly in to Orlando and visit one of my favorite spots: the Venice Rookery. Maybe Fort Desoto. I haven't been to Ding Darling since the Hurricane. How is it these days? Also will be visiting relatives near St Augustine. How is the St Augustine Alligator Farm in January? I've never been there. Any other suggestions for this broad area of what I think would be called central Florida?

Roger

Jeff Donald
11-25-2009, 03:19 PM
St. Augustine/Alligator Farm is slow in January. They have a Yahoo Group (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/birdrookery/) you can join to get updates. Sanibel is not like it used to be years ago. The water level management is different from what it used to be and that affects the bird population. Unless you're going south Ft. De Soto and Venice rookery are your best bets.

Roger Clark
11-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks Jeff,
I'll probably go to the Alligator Farm anyway just to see it as I've never been there and I'll be in the area. That way I'll know better what to do when I get there in peak times.

What would you suggest further south?

Roger

Fabs Forns
11-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Roger, around Orlando you have Joe Overstreet (possibility of Kites, Eagle, and Whooping Cranes). PM Alfred if you need directions) and in Melbourne you have Viera Wetlands, (Crested Caracaras, Eagles and many more).