PDA

View Full Version : Parting line when expanding canvas

Randy Stout
11-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Good day all:

I have started having a problem when I expand the canvas on an image.

I use the crop tool to outline the existing image, pull the border out where I need to add canvas, hit enter.

I then use the marquee tool to select the area of the original canvas that I want to expand into the new area created by the crop. It works well, except when I hit command D (mac), I am left with a razor thin parting line at the point were the marquee tool selection box started. This would be not on the outer edge of the canvas I selected, but rather on the inner edge (towards the main body of the image).

The line is very thin, but distinct. I didn't originally have this when I started using this tech., but can't figure out what is different in my settings or tech. that might be causing this.

I have attached an image to show this line.

Any help appreciated.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
11-22-2009, 07:56 PM
As far as I know this is a Photoshop bug and only happens in 16 bit. I use the rectangular tool to select the area and then the patch tool to remove it.

Charles Glatzer
11-22-2009, 10:00 PM
It happens in 16 bit with transform tool. It does not happen with Content Aware Scaling in 16 bit.

Best,

Chas

Jim Zipp
11-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Well, you've already been told the answer and the alternatives to convert to 8 bit first or if you have CS4 use the Content Aware Scaling.

While I don't use Mac, I'm told that this long time Adobe bug has been fixed in the Mac version of PS but still no fix in the Windows version.

Randy Stout
11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I do use a Mac, so bug still not fixed.

Randy

Jim Zipp
11-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Good to know.... is that with CS4? That was when I was told by a mac user that it had been corrected.

Lana Hays
11-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Jim
I use a mac and CS4 and yes.....it's still a problem.