PDA

View Full Version : This image keeps nagging at me.

david cramer
11-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Taken last year at Bosque del Apache. While driving around, I found a harrier sitting on a dead goose. From inside my car, I got a small window in the brush through which I could see the bird. While taking a few images using the BLUBB on window sill, I noticed the bird looking skyward. In a flash, she flew off, and this golden eagle dropped on the goose and quickly swooshed off with it. I'm guessing the eagle may have been munching on the goose earlier, as I doubt that the harrier could have carried it to shore. As this all happened in an instant, and as I only had a small window to shoot through, I felt fortunate to get this image, even though the eagle is cut off on the top. My question is do you think a closer crop of this would be a workable image or is it one I need to let go of, enjoy the memory of the moment, and move on? All ideas and suggestions appreciated.

techs: D300 with 500mm vr with 1.4 tc, f/8, 1/1250, iso 400, ev-0.67

http://davidcramer.smugmug.com/photos/720493225_wX5UB-O.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
11-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Very graphic and telling image. Effective when combined with your story. You could rework the raw file to see if the whites can be improved. Maybe a reduction in contrast would help here. I would also crop at top, just enough to hide the triangular open area between the wings (and also the seprated feather tip peeking in). Too bad the near wing wasn't up instead of down!

I have many images of moments I've observed that are less than technically perfect but that I like to keep to help me enjoy those memories. I say keep it!

Joel Eade
11-22-2009, 12:17 PM
I think you're right...isn't that blood on the eagle's beak? I wouldn't crop it, I agree to just keep it as is.

Danny J Brown
11-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I think this image is awesome, especially considering how tiny that snow goose looks in the golden eagle's talons. I'm glad you shared this one, David.

Brian Tang
11-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Excellent as is. Even if you had a wider angle which included the wings, your version would be an interesting crop selection. Puts the focus on the prey, which is what makes this a remarkable image.

Fabs Forns
11-22-2009, 02:14 PM
No cropping, Dave, but get rid of the loose wingtip and do a reverse curve to tame contrast. Great capture!

scott benson
11-22-2009, 03:02 PM
cracking image love it.

patrick santos
11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
great capture but this is a Juvenile Bald Eagle

Desmond Chan
11-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I have something similar to yours. I keep mine because they're records of incidents I don't see everyday. I'm not sure how a even tighter crop you can make it out of this. But, if you only keep technically perfect, the best look photos of yours, then may be you should scrap this one. If this were mine, I will keep it.

Morkel Erasmus
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
I would never let this go! Agree with Fabs' suggested improvements. lovely capture at an unconventional angle...

david cramer
11-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Thank you all. Your comments, critiques, and anecdotes help put it in perspective. I'll definitely keep the image, and will even print it with the crop suggestions.

Kiran Poonacha
11-23-2009, 03:56 AM
i love it as it is, the eye contact makes this work well... congrats David.

david cramer
11-23-2009, 09:53 AM
great capture but this is a Juvenile Bald Eagle Thanks for the correct id, Patrick. The beak should have given it away.

arash_hazeghi
11-23-2009, 02:53 PM
what a dramatic image, I'd keep it as is.