PDA

View Full Version : Q: Why do we rake leaves?

Ed Vatza
11-22-2009, 10:41 AM
A: So we can photograph them on frosty mornings.

Canon 30D; Lensbaby Composer; Handheld

1/30 sec @ f/5.6; ISO 100; -1/3 EV

Danny J Brown
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Ed - I like the look of this image a lot, especially with the frost being almost rim lighted on some of the leaves. I would like to see less of the bokehfied (made up word) leaves on the left. By doing that you will have to center the focal point of the image more and you might not want to do that as centered images seem to ruffle the feathers of the masses a bit. Maybe you'll come up with a better idea or just stick with your OP which is very nice. Thanks.

Ed Vatza
11-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey Danny, thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what kind of response I would get here to the Lensbaby image. (I thought about putting the image in Out-of-the-Box but since I also have some Lensbaby macros of the frosted leaves, I figured I would put them here.)

I don't know how familiar you or the others are with Lensbaby images. Basically the Lensbaby is a selective focus lens that will give a sharp sweet spot in the center of the image surrounded by blur as you move out from the sweet spot. But then, you have the option of "bending" the lens and moving the sweet spot around. That's what I did here putting more emphasis on the frosted leaves to the right. The result is also more blur to the left which you are picking up on.

Ironically, I did a 11x14 crop of this image taking off more of that blur on the left and personally do not like it as much as this original. But that's just my blurred taste! :eek:

Danny J Brown
11-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey Danny, thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what kind of response I would get here to the Lensbaby image. (I thought about putting the image in Out-of-the-Box but since I also have some Lensbaby macros of the frosted leaves, I figured I would put them here.)

I don't know how familiar you or the others are with Lensbaby images. Basically the Lensbaby is a selective focus lens that will give a sharp sweet spot in the center of the image surrounded by blur as you move out from the sweet spot. But then, you have the option of "bending" the lens and moving the sweet spot around. That's what I did here putting more emphasis on the frosted leaves to the right. The result is also more blur to the left which you are picking up on.

Ironically, I did a 11x14 crop of this image taking off more of that blur on the left and personally do not like it as much as this original. But that's just my blurred taste! :eek:

I've read a lot about using Lensbaby but I didn't notice that the blurred leaves were in the same focal plane. Very interesting! Sounds like you've already tried my comp idea to no avail so you're good to go with this one. This is the most subjective gallery at BPN and I like that about it. Makes it fun!

Julie Kenward
11-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Love it, Ed. I find myself wanting a bit more blurriness on the bottom for some reason - not sure why. That said, there is one place on the focused leaves that has a bit of a white spot - it's right above the yellow leaf on the bottom right side of the frame. If you could tone that down just a bit I think it would really balance the image even more.

You know I've got the composer on my Amazon wish list along with about $10,000 of other equipment...you're making me want to move it up the list, though...

Ed Vatza
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Love it, Ed.

GREAT! Can we stop here! :)

I find myself wanting a bit more blurriness on the bottom for some reason - not sure why.

Being a Lensbaby newbie, I find myself always wanting to bend the image... basically to play a little. Interestingly when I spoke to Tony Sweet at a presentation last week, he said he doesn't often bend at all. What does that have to do with anything? Well, the top and left is blurrier because I bent the lens down and to the right. It sounds like you might have preferred the lens to remain unbent with the sweet spot in the the middle and the blur radiating out more evenly in all directions.

That said, there is one place on the focused leaves that has a bit of a white spot - it's right above the yellow leaf on the bottom right side of the frame. If you could tone that down just a bit I think it would really balance the image even more.

I didn't even have to look to know the spot you are referring to. The frost was particularly heavy there. Its not really blown out. There is detail there when I look at the full size image. But it is brighter than anything else. At one point in processing I realized I had really, I mean REALLY, blown out that part so I went back to the beginning and made every adjustment while focused on that spot at 100%.

You know I've got the composer on my Amazon wish list along with about $10,000 of other equipment...you're making me want to move it up the list, though...

Let's see... my list includes things like the Nik Complete suite - Ka-ching; the Colormunki color calibration unit - Ka-ching; how about a 1D Mark IV - KA-CHING!! I'll probably settle in on the Nik software and maybe some add-ons for the Lenbaby. I have to say I am really finding the Lensbaby a challenge. Folks who follow my blog seem to really dislike the images. Lot of folks just don't seem to get it. Same goes for some of my blurs. But I like them so I keep doing them.

I just added a Lensbaby Gallery to my website if you'd like to see a few more Lensbaby images. (http://www.itsmynaturephotography.com/galleries/lensbaby-images/)

Ed Vatza
11-24-2009, 06:16 PM
OK Jules, I spent some more time with the image and pulled more detail out of the image in general and the "warm" area in particular. Your assessment?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0911_FrostedLeaves_006-Edit-Edit.jpg

Julie Kenward
11-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow, it's the little things, isn't it? You really did pop a lot of detail out on the repost! I did two more things...added gaussian blur at the bottom of the frame (because I have to that's why!) and I also did a 30% darken clone over the small area that I thought was too hot before (even though it looks better in the repost.)

Honestly, your repost is your perfect vision of this scene and I really do like it...I just felt a need to add that bit o' blur at the bottom because I'm stubborn that way. :D

Anita Bower
11-28-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm one of those who follow your blog and just don't get it abut lensbaby.;) But this is one of the images that works for me. Beautiful detail and shades. I like your repost, especially if you add Jules' darkening of that one spot. I don't need the extra blur at the bottom.

Ed Vatza
11-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Anita, I think the Lensbaby is just another way of loosening up the creative juices and allowing them to flow more freely. I was just listening to a webcast that I found linked on Facebook. In it, the speaker talks about pans and blurs and how they can also free the creative juices to flow by getting us to look at things in different ways. I can say that last year at this time was totally depressing. I could find anything to shoot... maybe some cut flowers every now and then but that was about it. This year, I am seeing things very differently and I have a lot more to work with than just driving to the shore and shooting ducks on the North Shore ponds.

What do I own that "seeing things differently" to? Maybe another year's worth of experience. Maybe to some things that rubbed off in the Tony Sweet workshop. Maybe to pans, blurs and multiple exposures. Maybe to knowing my PP software better. Maybe to the Lensbaby although I have only had it a few weeks? Probably all of the above.

The funny thing about the Lensbaby is that when I venture over onto the Lensbaby forums, I often look at what others are doing with the lens and I still don't get it. As I said on my blog yesterday, "I know we all draw a line somewhere and everything to the left is a photographic image and everything to right is… well, something else. I am just finding myself sliding that magical line a little farther and a little farther to the right. There is still light years of space out there to the right of my shifting line where, right now, I feel that maybe I’m pushing the envelope too far but I will continue to explore those uncharted (for me) universes. So I hope you hang on and enjoy the trip as much as I am."

Anita Bower
11-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Anita, I think the Lensbaby is just another way of loosening up the creative juices and allowing them to flow more freely.. . . . I can say that last year at this time was totally depressing. I could find anything to shoot... maybe some cut flowers every now and then but that was about it. This year, I am seeing things very differently and I have a lot more to work with than just driving to the shore and shooting ducks on the North Shore ponds.

What do I own that "seeing things differently" to? Maybe another year's worth of experience. Maybe to some things that rubbed off in the Tony Sweet workshop. Maybe to pans, blurs and multiple exposures. Maybe to knowing my PP software better. Maybe to the Lensbaby although I have only had it a few weeks? Probably all of the above.

. . . . As I said on my blog yesterday, "I know we all draw a line somewhere and everything to the left is a photographic image and everything to right is… well, something else. I am just finding myself sliding that magical line a little farther and a little farther to the right."

Ed: What you write makes perfect sense to me. I don't want you to think that just because some of your images don't work for me that I think they are not worth taking or posting. I was trying to make a statement about myself, not about you. I look forward to more lensbaby images from you!!!

As to getting those creative juices flowing--trying new approaches does help. I'm delighted to know that you are energized and seeing lots to photograph this winter. I'm finding it a bit challenging this year. Using new software and textures is helping me.

I don't think in terms of a line dividing photographic images from something else, though some do. In a recent camera club competition, my images were scored lower, not because they weren't good, but because they were not considered true photographs. In one I had used textures, and in another had applied a filter. That experience was a revelation to me.

Ed Vatza
11-28-2009, 07:14 AM
In a recent camera club competition, my images were scored lower, not because they weren't good, but because they were not considered true photographs. In one I had used textures, and in another had applied a filter. That experience was a revelation to me.

Unfortunately, we have lost some very valuable "purist" members of our local club over exactly where that line is!

Charles Wesley
11-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Ed,

Thanks for the education on the use of a lensbaby in nature photography. It's very refreshing. Really like the colors and shadows.

Thanks for sharing...