PDA

View Full Version : Pink One... Spathiphyllum

Charles Wesley
11-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Here's a little beauty. Tried several shooting options. Ended up using flash. Not sure about the shadow. Hoping for artistic effect.

Canon EOS-1D, EF 100- 400 mm f/4.5- 5.6 IS zoom and tripod. Not sure of the exposure.

Enjoy...

Ed Vatza
11-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Nice work Charlie. I really like the muted colors throughout. The background is wonderful and I feel an artistic quality to the image. But I do think the petal could be a bit sharper without losing that artsy quality. Overall, well done.

Danny J Brown
11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi Charlie: Definitely has an art feel to it. An alternative to Ed's advice would be to blur the stamen a bit. Either way, I think it would make the photo look more balanced and artsy. I really like this one, by the way. The soft colors are sweet.

Charles Wesley
11-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Ed & Danny,

I did selective sharpening only only on the stamen. It's probably made the flower out of balance. Will go back tomorrow and remove the extra sharpening and re- post this image.

Charles Wesley
11-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Danny & Ed,

Here's a softer view of the stamen. Think this gives more balance to this flower IMO.
Ran several difference focus adjustments.

Let me know what you think...

Julie Kenward
11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Charlie I like the repost but the whole thing feels a bit flat to me...could just be my contrasty personality but I want to bump up those whites a bit and give the greens a little lift. My guess is this is how you interpreted the original flower though so I totally understand if that's not your vision for this image.

Lovely diagonal - I don't mind the shadow at all (didn't really even notice it until you pointed it out) and the BG is gorgeous. Really nice composition as it feels perfectly placed in the frame.

Danny J Brown
11-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Danny & Ed,

Here's a softer view of the stamen. Think this gives more balance to this flower IMO.
Ran several difference focus adjustments.

Let me know what you think...

Ah... the repost is starting to speak to me Charles!

Steve Maxson
11-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi Charles. I'm not very good at the artistic stuff - I think I prefer the original with the sharper stamen. (Just a matter of personal taste.) I also like the diagonal comp, the colors, and the clean background. The shadow contains detail so it looks fine to me.