PDA

View Full Version : Undine Falls, frozen

Fabs Forns
11-21-2009, 06:50 PM
One from last December, looking forward to seeing them this winter. YNP.

Model: NIKON D3
Lens (mm): 140
ISO: 400
Aperture: 8
Shutter: 1/320
hand held

Harold Davis
11-21-2009, 06:53 PM
looks like a holiday greeting card!! just add some holly and you have it!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I really love the comp. Fabs, but my eye keeps going to the top instead of the cool ice formations on the bottom. I see all kinds of comps to shoot with my 70-200 in the image. We will see what the bad guy says.

Dave Mills
11-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi Fabs, I happen to like the soft lighting and don't feel it's that distracting. Seeing the flow is facing towards the left I might have preferred more room on that side.

Roman Kurywczak
11-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi Fabs,
I haven't seen this falls in the winter....so nice getting a different perspective. I am leaning with what Dave was saying but knowing the falls and how many dead/unattractive trees are around it....my bet you would have introduced other unwanted elements. Looks like you had mixed light here and while youhandled it very well it did make the top the brightest part and that may be why Curly's eyes are drawn away from the water....just as mine are. I think taking some of the top...leaving the entire evergreen by the falls intact with the larger horizontal tree under Fabs in you signature in. Then perhaps a bit of selective lightening or perhaps contrast to the lower ice area....to bring it out more.....just some posible things to check out! You used the trees nicely to frame the scene and I'd imagine the Floridians were freezing !!!.....so all in all nicely handled and composed. Thanks for sharing this different view of the falls I haven't seen!

Paul Marcellini
11-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Here's where light can really affect composition. Because of the way it falls, my eye goes to the foreground tree and the background, both the brightest areas of the image. The falls, your subject, based on title and comp, are the last thing I see. I think a crop of the bright background does help, it does look like a cluttered area so I am betting not easy to organize. A beautiful scene though.

Nick Palmieri
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
It does look like a Christmas card...I would bet you did shoot a lot of tighter shots of the falls. I think the trees on the right and the darker rocks on the left of the falls sort of pulls the eye directly to the falls. A little different but I like it as presented...

Ilija Dukovski
12-03-2009, 10:44 PM
I like it very much, especially the content contrast between the white falls and the trees near the top.