PDA

View Full Version : Purple Coneflower

Danny J Brown
11-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Taken this spring at Shaw Nature Reserve, a few miles from my house. Background is mostly ox-eye daisy with some Queen Anne's Lace. Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS40D; Canon 70-200 F2.8; 1/160; F/7.1; Manfrotto 055XB w/488RC2

Julie Kenward
11-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Danny, this is really beautiful! It was especially nice to see it pop up on such an overcast and gloomy November day.

I really like the light and airy feel this has. I also like that you can barely make out the QA Lace and the Oxeye daisies just add to the overall feel. Only distracting thing I can see is a slight whitish area near the base of the QA Lace. A quick clone or brush over and it would be outta here.

Danny J Brown
11-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Danny, this is really beautiful! It was especially nice to see it pop up on such an overcast and gloomy November day.

I really like the light and airy feel this has. I also like that you can barely make out the QA Lace and the Oxeye daisies just add to the overall feel. Only distracting thing I can see is a slight whitish area near the base of the QA Lace. A quick clone or brush over and it would be outta here.

Hi Jules: Hope I didn't make it worse here. Always feels nice to brighten somebody's day!

Charles Wesley
11-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Danny,

Like your imagery and Jules suggestions. I took the liberty to darken, apply a warming filter, apply the SH tool and selectively sharpen your image. Just trying to use PS for a different look.

Thanks for sharing...

Danny J Brown
11-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Danny,

Like your imagery and Jules suggestions. I took the liberty to darken, apply a warming filter, apply the SH tool and selectively sharpen your image. Just trying to use PS for a different look.

Thanks for sharing...

Thanks Charlie - I think you've further separated the subject from the background nicely.

Charles Wesley
11-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Danny,

My goal was to seperate the flower as you said. It's a very nice photo that you have made.

I just like slightly darker images than others. I think it helps the photo " pop ". That's just my opinion.

Keep the photos coming....

Ed Vatza
11-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Guess I'm coming at this from a slightly different perspective. I think the coneflower looks great and love the yellow flowers throughout the background. BUt I feel like the QAL on the right is one element too much and keeps pulling my eye from the coneflower.

Steve Maxson
11-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Danny. I like the look and feel of this image. The coneflower is sharp, the comp is well done, and you have an interesting mix of colors. I like your repost and the repost by Charles is an intriguing alternative with a different mood. I think I would agree with Ed about the QAL. :)

Danny J Brown
11-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks everybody! This one was fun and I will be honest and say that I too agree with Ed on the Queen Anne's Lace. I'll return to the glade next year and try for a similar shot with a more uniform background. I love challenges.

caseyargall
12-11-2009, 04:52 AM
love the contrasting colour, the comp is really nice, great image!