PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Mountains Waterfalls

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Here is another falls in the porcupine mountains I shot this fall.

markIII
17-40mm
tripod with rrs ballhead
iso 100
1/80@f/11

Axel Hildebrandt
11-21-2009, 04:01 PM
I like the dynamic mood and fall colors. Is that ice on the trunk in the water? I might sharpen the leaves on the trees a little bit.

Harold Davis
11-21-2009, 04:02 PM
only wished i were there! beautiful fall colors and i love the selected shutter speed for the water. the foreground dead tree is perfectly placed for me. well done, curly!!

Roman Kurywczak
11-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey Curly,
OK....I get to be the bad guy here.....agree with Axel on tree sharpness but it may have been wind....so at 1/80....possibility. My real issue here is that while the tree is OK I would have preferred more room right as the flow is going that way and it leaves quite a bit of empty space on the left. I want to follow the flow that has a nice s-shape to it....but it is all on the right side. Left 1/3 of the image isn't really working for me. Sorry!

Fabs Forns
11-21-2009, 06:56 PM
WOW, Curly, you are really making me want to take a trip your way. Noted critique above, but uneducated me likes it :)

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-21-2009, 10:02 PM
I always take another look and say now what will Roman or Bob say and I looked at the water flow and moved to the right. It was as far right I could go without over my waders and moving back was not an option either. So you are making me think as the first one I wanted to get the full circle of color in. Thanks again for your help.

Dave Mills
11-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Dennis, Your repost does it for me with a comp that flows nicely. The foreground log is now in a stronger position within the image and my eye moves around the scene in logical progression...

Morkel Erasmus
11-22-2009, 05:53 AM
hey Curly - another vote here for the repost, as the water flow is the strong leader here, with the log now a stronger anchor. Great colours and texture!

Roman Kurywczak
11-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Woo hoo!!! I do feel that the repost is stronger also for the above mentioned reasons.....I'm just doing my best football touchdown dance that "you are conciously thinking"!!! Makes my day to see that you get it and are now exploring while doing landscapes!!!

Paul Marcellini
11-24-2009, 09:44 AM
The repost works for me as far as comp but the processing is a little harsh. Too punchy, I would take back the contrast and try to reduce some haloing. Are you using hdr or shadow/highlights?

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi Paul, nice to see you posting again. I used topaz adjust also detail plugin and yes it is a little too punchy and I should of lowered the opacity, but wanted to see what it looked like before I bought it. Detail was suppose to have no haloing, but as you see does. Thanks for your help