PDA

View Full Version : Turning the World on its Head

Ed Vatza
11-21-2009, 11:15 AM
When sunrise doesn't produce as I would like it to, I feel like turning the world on its head!

Canon 50D; 24-70mm f/2.8L; tripod-mounted.

1.6 sec @ f/22; ISO 100; 0 EV

Grady Weed
11-21-2009, 11:31 AM
I made one of these upside images at Pemaquid Lighthouse in a puddle and printed a 11x14 of it. I put it on display and almost every single person "turn it right side up for me"! It made quite a conversation piece. Print it Ed and show it off. I like this one, especially the lower 2/3 Rd's. The muted tones and soft colors are restful.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I like the idea but feel it missing an element to lead your eye into the image.

Ed Vatza
11-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys. Curly, I was looking too (hoping for) the sunrise in the UR to be that element.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-21-2009, 04:03 PM
I like the image design, mood and patterns and don't miss a leading element.

Harold Davis
11-21-2009, 04:06 PM
maybe you could warm up that sun a little more to get that element. i like it as is. thinking if you do too much, it might destroy that peaceful mood. way to make something out of your morning!!

Roman Kurywczak
11-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey Ed,
While part of me may want to go with a stronger element...I do think that would change the look and feel....so I would only try Harolds suggestion for a bit more color or less brightness on the sun. No one mentioned it...so I will....I think that upper portion of the lighter blue adds greatly to the overall appeal and shows that it is the reflection nicely. Well done!

Fabs Forns
11-21-2009, 06:57 PM
I do need the trees to be sharper rather than having a leading element. Love the colors.

Ed Vatza
11-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I do need the trees to be sharper rather than having a leading element. Love the colors.

Appreciate the feedback, Fabs. But I don't think sharper trees was in the cards given the movement of the water. Faster shutter speed gave me crisper branches but I was getting a wavy distortion due to the rippling water. Slowed it down like here, Fabs, and it smoothed out the reflection but the trees look softer (which I will point out, I like since it is in keeping with the softness of the entire image). But I am always open to suggestions as I am always open to learning new things (see my philosophy below).

Dave Mills
11-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi Ed, I do like the overall softness of the image and the various tonalities within the image. Two ways to look at this. Presently the brighter sun area becomes your center of interest since it attracts the eye. Toning it down would even the image out somewhat. Comes down to a personal choice on whats more appealing seeing that the image has an abstract quality...