PDA

View Full Version : shorebird id?

Joe Austin
11-20-2009, 08:21 PM
This was taken in May at Port Mahon on the Delaware coast. I don't recall the overall size of the bird. My best guess is Semi-palmated Sandpiper or Sanderling. Please point out the clues you use. Thanks.

WIlliam Maroldo
11-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Sanderling. regards~Bill

Declan Troy
11-22-2009, 01:39 PM
One feature that distinguishes Sanderlings from many other shorebirds is the lack of a hind toe (hallux). Generally not as useful as other features for quick IDs in the field but it does show, or more accurately does not show, in this image.

Peter Knoot
11-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Given that this was shot in May, the bird should be in breeding colors. The Sanderling shows rusty or mottled brown head, mantle, and breast, as well as black primary coverts in breeding plumage. By contrast, Semipalmated shows only a tinge of rust and no black primary coverts. I think the image does not allow a positive determination of the (missing) hind toe. To me, the coloration is more consistent with Semipalmated in breeding plumage.

Declan Troy
11-30-2009, 11:39 AM
HI Peter,

I beg to differ. Attached is a breeding Semipalmated Sandpiper from Deadhorse Alaska last June. A different looking bird. Semis don't have all the earth tones on the chest and head of the original bird. The bird in question is certainly duller than many Sanderlings but they do show considerably more variability than illustrated in many guides. They also nest over a large latitudinal range so perhaps there is just less synchronization in molt of contour feathers. Then again, there is more of a transformation in Sanderling plumage from winter to summer so the differences among birds may be just more obvious. When Sanderlings like this appear in northern Alaska they are sometimes reported as red-necked stints (which do occur but generally in different situations).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2505/4146648696_024eb22351_o.jpg

Arthur Morris
12-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Semi Sands are tremendously variable in both juvenile and breeding plumage. Breeding plumage adults can range from plain grey as in Declan's image to fairly bright with some warm tones. As to the bird in question, the reddish tones in the face scream Sanderling to me (though I will admit that this bird had me scratching my head for a while).

Peter, Sanderling too can vary tremendously in breeding plumage with the males ranging from bright rufous red/orange to plain grey, white and silver.