PDA

View Full Version : Daylilies... In The Summer Time

Charles Wesley
11-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Here's a photo from the summer. Really love when the daylilies are in bloom. Found from Eurpoe to China originally and brought to the new world by the English settlers.

Used my flash to work the sidelighting. Like the papery look from the lighting. Easy to over do.

Canon EOS- 1D, EF 100- 400 f/4.5- 5.6 IS zoom, Canon EX flash MP greatly reduced and Bogen tripod.

Enjoy...

Jerry van Dijk
11-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Charlie, nice composition and lovely colors! I like the placement of the flowers along the diagonal. Wonderful use of flash, I wouldn't have guessed you used flash if you hadn't told me.
Although I do appreciate the sidelight, I find myself wishing for some more light on the flowers centers.

Christopher Miller
11-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Love the colors and lighting, Charles! Very nice job with the flash. Only thing I might change would be to remove or tone down the large dark spot in the ULC. Well done!

Julie Kenward
11-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Excellent focal points on this one Charles - every single stamen seems to be crisp and perfectly placed! I also love the quality of light and the way the petals appear "papery" but I, too, also wish there was a bit more light in the center instead of from the side.

Two things I think you could do to take this image up a notch would be to clone over the blob in the ULC as Chris mentioned and tone down the top corner of the petal on the flower to the right.

Charles Wesley
11-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Jules,

Thanks for the comments. I try to shoot my florals in several different forms of light not always frontal. With my flash I wanted to do fill in lighting. My EX 550 was set to 1/ 125 MP to eliminate any hint of flash. It was just not enough power to fill in the centers of the flowers. Should have tried boosting the manual power setting. I just don't like overly flashed florals.

Guess that's just me....

Danny J Brown
11-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi Charlie: I love the soft color of the petals in this image and the stamens look like they are on fire on my screen - very nice. The bokeh is really interesting as well with the different patterns that all come together as a whole. Great shot.