PDA

View Full Version : Europeen treefrog

Alexander Koenders
11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Litlle and green and verry hard to find. In this picture I realy liked the green flaming BG.

Olympus E3, Sigma150mm F2.8, F7.1, 1/200sec, ISO200, 0 stop

Chris Starbuck
11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Alexander,
Nicely arranged, with beautiful light. The frog's position is very pleasing, and the detail looks great. I like most of the BG. The OOF twig is a little distracting. I'm not sure about the very dark upper right corner. In general I find "black holes" in light backgrounds distracting, but in a way this dark area balances with the bright frog and the frog's shadow.

Danny J Brown
11-19-2009, 07:29 PM
This is a beauty, Alex, and I like the way you've handled the exposure as frogs are often shown with a bit too much contrast for my taste. The composition is just right to my eye and the bokeh is flaming away, as you say. I really like the thorns as well. Now....about that branch emerging from the right of the frame............

Charles Wesley
11-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Alexander,

Very nice photo with wonderful colors. Nice placement in the frame.
Thanks for sharing.....

Christopher Miller
11-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Very nice colors and comp, Alexander. Great pose and details on the frog. Agree with advice already given. Well done!

Jerry van Dijk
11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Wonderful Alexander! Nothing to add to the comments already given.

Julie Kenward
11-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Alexandre, this is a strong image that, with a few minor tweaks, could become really strong. I took the liberty of trying a few minor things to see how it would affect the image. Here's what I did:

1. Cloned out the branch pieces that weren't needed.
2. Toned down the specular highlights on the frog's face and back by clicking on a green tone on his body and then setting a soft brush to 30% opacity and painting over the highlights. (They still shine through but look a little more natural now IMO.)
3. Cropped the original to show the frog, the main branch and the flaming BG but in a tighter composition - giving more focus to the frog instead of to the 'flames.' After all, if the frog is the focal point, he should command the greater majority of space (in most cases.)
4. Tweaked the color by adding a boost of saturation and a bit of a hue adjustment.
5. Evened out the flames in the BG by using that soft brush set to 30% opacity and painting on a midtone green where the BG was a bit too dark or light.

Little tiny things can make a big difference to a final image. I'm certainly not inferring that you have to take any or all of these suggestions...just wanted to remind everyone to take a second look at your images and explore the little things that can be done to take a good image up a notch or two.

Alexander Koenders
11-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Alexandre, this is a strong image that, with a few minor tweaks, could become really strong. I took the liberty of trying a few minor things to see how it would affect the image. Here's what I did:

1. Cloned out the branch pieces that weren't needed.
2. Toned down the specular highlights on the frog's face and back by clicking on a green tone on his body and then setting a soft brush to 30% opacity and painting over the highlights. (They still shine through but look a little more natural now IMO.)
3. Cropped the original to show the frog, the main branch and the flaming BG but in a tighter composition - giving more focus to the frog instead of to the 'flames.' After all, if the frog is the focal point, he should command the greater majority of space (in most cases.)
4. Tweaked the color by adding a boost of saturation and a bit of a hue adjustment.
5. Evened out the flames in the BG by using that soft brush set to 30% opacity and painting on a midtone green where the BG was a bit too dark or light.

Little tiny things can make a big difference to a final image. I'm certainly not inferring that you have to take any or all of these suggestions...just wanted to remind everyone to take a second look at your images and explore the little things that can be done to take a good image up a notch or two.

Thanxs fore showing this possibillaty bud i think its a litlle to big now:)