PDA

View Full Version : Found: Rule of thirds grid for Photoshop

Jim Poor
02-15-2008, 09:57 AM
The short answer is that it is in the custom vector shape dialog. Since it isn't my work, I'll link you to the site that explains it:

http://www.graphicreporter.com/tutorials/photoshop_ruleofthirds.html

Example:

Mike Tracy
02-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks Jim. I figured there had to be one hiding some where I just never stumbled across it. Then again it seems like I do a lot of stumbling in PS.

Maxis Gamez
02-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey Jim,

Good find. Do we have a source layer?? :)

Jim Poor
02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
A who layer?

Doug West
02-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Fantastic!

Any idea how to change the thickness of the lines though?

Doug

Jim Poor
02-19-2008, 09:22 AM
I haven't figured out how to change the thickness yet, but you can change the color, fill and transparency.

Jim Poor
02-20-2008, 01:13 PM
UPDATE:

The grid I showed in the original post is nice for evaluating composition. However PANOSFX offers a Rule of Thirds Action that actually will do the cropping (and even straighten if you like) for you once you position the grid for your desired composition.

The read-me file states that the action is not for CS3, but that is either out of date or just plain wrong. It works fine on my CS3.

Charles Glatzer
02-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Hey Jim,

Try this method...

In CS go to Edit > Preference > Guides, Grids and Slices
Under Grid change the Grid line to 33.3 percent and background color to red (click on color square) Make the subdivisions 1. Click OK.

You can toggle the grid on and off with Ctrl " (marks next to Enter key )

Best,

Chas

Jim Poor
02-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Is it printable / postable that way or do the guides go away when saved?

Charles Glatzer
02-22-2008, 08:21 AM
It can be saved for reference or simply toggled for appearence. Grid is not printable, unless the image is screen captured...

Chas

Jim Poor
02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks. I think I found another action that uses smaller lines and will allow it to be printed / posted when needed too. There are a lot of them out there, and finding the best is a task.

BTW, thanks for the advice on the Hydrophobia, got mine in the mail yesterday :D

Raul Quinones
04-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I think Adobe should include the "rules of third lines" while you select the crop tool.

Dave Phillips
04-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I think Adobe should include the "rules of third lines" while you select the crop tool.

absolutely needed in Adobe....I like the thirds grid in Capture One cropping tool

John Robuck
04-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Adobe does include a "thirds" grid by default as part of the crop tool in Lightroom; would be nice in PS also -- maybe it will be in PS CS4, which they are working on now, if we ask them for it.

Jeffrey Sipress
04-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Still trying to figure out why this is necessary. It is not hard to visualize and place a subject a third from any side just with your eye/brain.

Jim Poor
04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
That all depends on how your brain is wired. People can be divided into groups based on primary perceptory modes of Auditory, Visual or Kinesthetic. The visual folks usually have no problem using just the eye / brain, but the other two groups might need something else.

Also, there are a lot of folks out there that don't know what the Rule of Thirds is and a picture with lines on it is a lot easier than trying to explain it in writing so that anyone, regardless of primary perceptory mode, will readily grasp what is written.

Further, the eye / brain method is a guestimate that works often enough, but at times the slightest difference in placement can have a huge impact.

Ian McHenry
04-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Jim
What a great site for newbies like me that Graphic Reporter.
Heaps of stuff on Photoshop Elements.
A big Thank You.
Ian Mc