PDA

View Full Version : Creature from the Deep

Mike Tracy
11-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Truly a grab shot and who says the maligned MKIII cant focus ? I was cruising across W. Lake Toho on my boat Tuesday when I saw this anhingha. I headed towards him while steering with my knees, pointed my lens in his direction, he flipped the fish and I kept going.

Not sure as to why the light looks bright as it was less than a hour before sunset. I know the background is not the most desirable but thats how it is when you compose a image at 30mph. Also wish for a better head angle on the fish.

MKIII, EF500@1.4x, f/5.6, ISO 800, E.C. +1/3, HH

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/BlueDeuce1/creaturefromthedeepweb.jpg

Dave Blinder
11-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Wow, what a shot Mike! You are right, the light does seem a bit harsh, and in a perfect world full separation between the fish and the bill would be nice.

Great job, I doubt many could have pulled this off. Enter this in some wildlife contests!

Marina Scarr
11-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Love the action/behavior here, the environment and the duckweed on the anhinga. Might toning down the highlights on the bird's lower neck just a little. Awesome "grab" shot, Mike.

Bonnie Block
11-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Great action! Love the eye of the bird on that fish. Hopefully you can correct the whites a bit.

Stu Bowie
11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
These guys like to toss their catch up in the air, so well timed whilst steering your boat Mike. Overall sharp, and I like the duckweed stuck on his neck. Great capture.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I like the composition and captured moment. Maybe a little less contrast and I might remove the bright green area in the BG that is crossing the neck/head.

Fabs Forns
11-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Very good timing catching this, Mike. Mark III, can focus, the problem was the inconsistency focusing. At least for me, I was never sure if I was going to get the picture or not. I have to say tha the problem has been improved. There's a very faint halo caused by the contrast.