PDA

View Full Version : Would you do this?

Michael Lloyd
11-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I shot this at the "farm end" of Bosque del Apache (NE corner). I'm sorry to say that I didn't think about shooting another image of the license plates on the car (California). If he had come back to his car while we were there I would have asked him if he thought it was a good idea to walk 150 meters out into the fields considering we were in a National Wildlife Refuge. As they say on bumper stickers "I ain't skeered" (I hate those stickers btw)

This is the full image from a 1DMK3 / 800mm f5.6 lens. The guy was WAY out there. Easily 150 meters out. We didn't come across anyone to report to... and to be honest I have yet to meet a "gate person" at Bosque that I think would have addressed this issue. Maybe it's not an issue? I don't know... but it seems to me that this guy may have broken the rules at Bosque. Thoughts?

PS- I have to admit one of my first thoughts when composing this image was that he was using good form. I hate seeing elbows all splayed out when someone is handholding :)

Rocky Sharwell
11-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Michael:

I have called the refuge office from my cell before at Bosque. It certainly looks like he is breaking the rules--but I am trying to picture the spot. This guy looks like a candidate for a phone call to the office.

I know there are a few spots at Bosque where there are no signs--but I just knew better than to go where I was thinking.

Michael Lloyd
11-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Michael:

I have called the refuge office from my cell before at Bosque. It certainly looks like he is breaking the rules--but I am trying to picture the spot. This guy looks like a candidate for a phone call to the office.

I know there are a few spots at Bosque where there are no signs--but I just knew better than to go where I was thinking.

It's in the corner just after the curve on the northeast end. There is a viewing platform and spotting scope about 100 meters down from where I took this shot.

Marina Scarr
11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
It's people who pull foolish stunts such as this who ruin it for those of us who do know how to follow the rules, in and out of the field.

Ed Erkes
11-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I've never been to Bosque so I have no idea whether this is against the rules or not. If the rules say you have to stay on the roads or designated trails, then this would be against the rules. Otherwise, it should be OK. The geese don't seem to be disturbed by the photographer, so it doesn't appear that harassment is an issue. It all depends on the rules of that refuge. I expect that high-use refuges will have stricter rules than others. It is generally the cumulative effect of many visitors in an area that really has the most detrimental effects. At Lake Mattamuskeet NWR in NC, you can hike pretty much anywhere you want to through the wooded areas and along the shore (except for posted closed areas).

William Malacarne
11-19-2009, 06:42 PM
It is against the rules.

http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/rulesregsinfoBosque.html

Hiking and Biking
The refuge provides many opportunities for hiking and biking. Some routes are only for hikers, others permit either. There are kiosks, signs, and staff in the visitor center to provide further details about a particular route. For either activity, it is important that you stay on the designated trails and roads.

Photography
Photography is welcome in areas to which public access is permitted. Signage restrictions apply to all visitors, including photographers. Normal courtesy with respect to viewing rights of others is expected. (See Events &Workshops (http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/educationalevents.html) for any photography workshops).

Bill

Ed Cordes
11-19-2009, 08:03 PM
It is against the rules, but maybe he doesn't know it? In this case he might receive gentle discussion of the reason for the rule in a positive manner. Since he is shooting from such a high angle he is probably not an experienced photographer. So, perhaps a conversation could be started explaining shooting angles and leading into WLR ethics?

Jackie Schuknecht
11-19-2009, 08:07 PM
It is against the rules, when I was there, there were signs posted all over the place about not going past this point. I think it is people like this who ruin it for everybody.

Brian Ivener
11-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Definitely against the rules. I am a board member of the Friends of the Bosque del Apache NWR. As volunteers we can't enforce the rules, but we certainly have quick access to someone who can. We wear small gold colored badges and are usually circulating around during the Festival.

Jim Neiger
11-20-2009, 02:05 PM
If this is where I think it is, you have to cross a canal or walk right past a barracade with a sign to get there.

Doug Brown
11-20-2009, 03:48 PM
It's clearly a violation of the rules. I encourage anyone who sees this kind of behavior from photographers and non-photographers alike to take documentary photographs and contact refuge law enforcement. It's this sort of thing that gives all nature and wildlife photographers a bad reputation in some peoples' eyes.