PDA

View Full Version : Micro forest..

Arlon Motsch
11-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I did a walk at Caddo Lake SP (Tx) a few weeks ago with only a macro lens for my camera. It seems I often overlook the macro world when I'm focused on other wildlife. Not on this day, with only the macro lens with me it forced my attention into another dimension..

http://www.pbase.com/arlon/image/119003907/large.jpg
LARGER VERSION (http://www.pbase.com/arlon/image/119003907/original.jpg)

Nikon D90 w/ manual focus 55mm f3.5 micro nikkor lens
F8, 1/180sec, iso200, sb-800 flash, manual mode

denise ippolito
11-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Arlon, This does have the feel of a micro forest. I might take a little off the bottom. The orange spot on the left pulls my eye out of the frame just a bit.

Anita Bower
11-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Having lived in Texas during my 20s, including in Houston, I looked up Cado Lake. Looks like a lovely place, but not near Houston. :D

You found an interesting little mini lansdscape. I think you have a good angle of view--down low. I'm thinking that a wider aperture might have helped isolate the main features while blurring the rest. For example, focusing on those interesting pink growths. As it is, the image is too busy, making it difficult for me to focus on any one subject or area. Also, I'm wondering what it would look like without flash.

Hope you share some more photos with us!

Arlon Motsch
11-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Anita, we just stopped in for the night at Caddo on the way to and from Petit Jean SP in Arkansas.
Without the flash, the picture would have been real blurry. It was in the shadows under trees and shutter would have been 1/4s or less and I was shooting off hand. Flash was the only option. I wish I'd have had an extension tube so I could have focused on the "pillars" on the right. I actually like the business of the picture. It does emphasize just how much is going in such a tiny space.

Denise, I didn't even notice the orange spot until you mentioned it. Now it sticks out at me like a sore thumb! Thanks a lot! (-:} Some cropping and tweaking might be in order..