PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Marbles

John Cooper
02-15-2008, 04:30 AM
Devil's Marbles, Northern Territory, Australia.

Canon EOS 10D, Canon 17-40mm at approx 35mm, Late afternoon, ISO 100, F22, Mirror lock-up, Tripod.

Robert Amoruso
02-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi John.

I like the idea of the rock and tree but I think you need the two to be separated for this to work. The rocks to the right unbalance it for me. I would have moved to the right and tried to get just the rock and tree against the sky with a slice of ground along the bottom to anchor the image. The backlighting and contrast are just not working for me in this image.

Alfred Forns
02-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Full agreement with Robert on all counts !!! It is an interesting composition and could work Maybe slightly more frontal light (sort of side lit) and the separation Got some fine looking colors between the sky and rocks !!!

Jason Hahn
02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
What caught my eye right away was the light, I wish it was more front lit , the back light just doesn't quite work in this image for me. I do like the contrast of the complex structure and lines of the tree to the simple shape of the rock, and I think there are a lot of strong composition possibilities here with a little experimentation and different light.

Jason

Paul Marcellini
02-15-2008, 07:42 PM
I always go bw when the light is a bit harsh. I agree though that the rocks on the right are a bit distracting. If you have the chance to go back I would love to see what else you come back with.

Paul

John Cooper
02-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi John.

I like the idea of the rock and tree but I think you need the two to be separated for this to work. The rocks to the right unbalance it for me. I would have moved to the right and tried to get just the rock and tree against the sky with a slice of ground along the bottom to anchor the image. The backlighting and contrast are just not working for me in this image.

Thanks for the comment Robert. This image is almost identical to one taken by Art Wolfe "Light on the Land", except he came a bit more to the left and had the 2 rocks on right side merge into one.

John Cooper
02-15-2008, 11:35 PM
What caught my eye right away was the light, I wish it was more front lit , the back light just doesn't quite work in this image for me. I do like the contrast of the complex structure and lines of the tree to the simple shape of the rock, and I think there are a lot of strong composition possibilities here with a little experimentation and different light.

Jason

Many thanks for your comments Jason. Actually I waited 6 hours for the frontal lighting to disappear :):):). Frontal lighting flatens this composition - I think most ladnscapes benefit from side lighting to give some modelling and form. The same composition taken by Art Wolfe was in the exact same lighting - incidently I hadn't seen his image until after I had composed this one ;)