PDA

View Full Version : Metamorphosis

John Cooper
02-15-2008, 04:22 AM
This adult cicada has just extracted itself from the nymph shell and now hangs on while blood is pumped into the wing veins. Nocturnal event.

Canon 100mm macro, ISO 100, Night, One main flash slightly back to right and fill flash next to lens. Tripod.

edward saltau
02-15-2008, 04:56 AM
this is really cool. its like something out of alien vs predator. Sometimes you can catch these guys in the early morning for some sweet light but its rare. I've never had a camera when i've seen it.
I would like to see a little more room to the right and i'm pretty sure it would be a breeze to extend the canvas on this one.

John Cooper
02-15-2008, 05:35 AM
this is really cool. its like something out of alien vs predator. Sometimes you can catch these guys in the early morning for some sweet light but its rare. I've never had a camera when i've seen it.
I would like to see a little more room to the right and i'm pretty sure it would be a breeze to extend the canvas on this one.

Thanks for the comment - This is a repost with a little more canvas on right.

Jeroen Stel
02-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Excellent behavioural capture!
I think using a bit of noise reduction to the BG would highly improve this image.
A little more room all around would also be nice.

Compliments on capturing this special moment!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Robert O'Toole
02-15-2008, 05:57 AM
Very interesting. I like the mud on the empty shell. I also how the careful the use of flash here makes the wings seem translucent.

Great work as always john, thanks for sharing.

Robert

Mike Moats
02-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey John, another excellent image. Very cool critter and I like how it glows. Excellent details.

Gayle Clement
02-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Fascinating image and really beautiful glow.