PDA

View Full Version : Monarch on Native Aster

Danny J Brown
11-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Here is another monarch image with conventional lighting as compared to my last one. Image was taken in my wife's native flower bed in front of our home. Suggestions welcome as I'm learning more with every post here in macro/closeup. Thanks.

Canon 40D; Canon 300 F4 L IS; 1/100; F/4.0; ISO 400; Manfrotto 055XB w/488RC2

Dave Phillips
11-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Danny, you have been posting some pleasing images and a desire to learn and improve
is gonna carry your work a long way. Always try to critique your own work first, then absorb
what others(me) have commented and see how it compares or supports your own critique.

We all see things differently, but basics of light/comp/exposure etc remain the same. First thing
to hit me is the strong lighted area lower left.....then the lack of light on the butterfly.
I don't see light on front or shining through from behind, so he appears somewhat dull.

Did a few quick tweaks that may give a different view of your image. As an exercise do a
side by side comparison.....some changes may be good, others not so good. But observing
and evaluating is the key. Keep the images coming

Danny J Brown
11-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Dave: Thanks for the great tips. These close-ups seem so much more challenging than bird shots with the supertelephoto. I would have never noticed the bright corner but your repost really exemplifies how dull the butterfly looked in the original. I'll keep working with before/after on PS. Thanks.

Mike Moats
11-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Hey Danny, a nice sharp butterfly and I like the surrounding of the B-fly with the flowers. I think Dave repost really help to make the B-fly pop against the busy BG. Great colors.

Anita Bower
11-19-2009, 01:47 PM
You are doing a good job of photographing Monarchs. I like the repost which makes the butterfly stand out more. I find the Asters pleasing and they show the butterly in its natural environment. The one thing that bothered me was the orange Aster center bisected by the butterfly wing, a bit distracting, but I don't know what to do about it. I hope you keep the photos coming.

Charles Wesley
11-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Danny,

Good job catching this very busy Monarch working for some nectar. Not easy to capture an image of a Monarch's proboscis. Always liked the papery appearance of their wings.
Thanks for sharing...