PDA

View Full Version : Blyde River Canyon in Gloom (panorama)

Morkel Erasmus
11-17-2009, 03:46 PM
You guys in the USofA might have the big ole Grand Canyon, but in the space of one month I was able to visit both the second and third largest canyons in the world. The second largest being the Fish River Canyon in Namibia (which we hiked through), and the third largest being this one - the Blyde River Canyon.

It differs from the others in that this one is largely vegetated with evergreen forests and is a different sight to behold therefore altogether.

I created this image on the only day we were in the vicinity (for a wedding), from a nearby lookout point. Shot 4 images in portrait format handheld, and stitched them together in Canon Photostitch.

Used levels and contrast adjustment layers to get more detail from the clouds and also burned some highlights.

I would love some critique and also advice on how to compose these pano-stitches so that the horizon doesn't curve as much.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f11 @ 1/100 SS @ ISO-100
4 images stiched (portrait compositions)

david cramer
11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I can't help you with Canon Photostitch as I use PSCS4, which does a fantastic job. I do see some odd tilts in the middle ground canyons. The sky looks good and adds drama. Oversharpening seems to be causing some halos along the edges where canyon meets sky. Otherwise, you've actually achieved a pano with a 3D look to it.

David Thomasson
11-17-2009, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't have known it was stitched if you hadn't mentioned it. Very nice job on that! :)

I like the subdued light, but it has a downside. It's like having the world's largest overhead softbox, which tends to wrap around objects and
subdue forms as well. So I would gently enhance highlights and shadows to bring out the natural forms just a bit more. Something like
this (animated gif):

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7083/canyon.gif

Dave Mills
11-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Morkel, David's repost brightened the image somewhat and added contrast.Nice use of the stitching software. Within the comp my eye seems to be anchored on the foreground rock which is extremely dominant. When I look past the rock my eye also wanders since there is alot going on and nothinh strong enough to hold my attention.
Regarding the curvature try shooting your next pano with vertical frames at 30mm. The 18mm can cause distortion...

Morkel Erasmus
11-17-2009, 11:25 PM
thanks for the feedback and suggestions David C, David T and Dave M :)

David C - CS3 does a lousy job of stitching so I'm glad if CS4 gets it right, will have to look at an upgrade...

David T - like your repost but I was iffy on using S/H any more because I really battled haloing when adjusting the cloud details :( will have a go again

Dave M - 18mm on my 1000D is actually 28.8mm :), do you mean I must use the physical focal length of 30mm?

Betsie Storm
11-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Morkel, Can't help with the techs but congrats on a beautiful image doing justice to a really beautiful part of our country. I especially like the dark, brooding clouds and the clarity and detail in the landscape. Where did you take it from? I am guessing Swadini dam in the background?

Morkel Erasmus
11-18-2009, 12:07 AM
thanks Betsie.

this was taken from the viewpoint at ATKV Blydepoort resort. I am assuming it's Swadini dam in the BG :)

Dave Mills
11-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Morkel, Distortion can come from shooting at 18mm or in your camera's case...28mm. If you can frame the image at 35-38mm you would probably lessen your chances of distortion.

Roman Kurywczak
11-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey Morkel,
Can't add much to the good advice above. I like what David T did on the shadows so worth looking into. You did do a very nice job with the stitch too as it looks very natural.....yeah...halos are a pain so worth re-visiting. I'd imagine the jpeg compression was huge....just watch the hot spot/ cloud opening at the top left to see if you can bring that down too. Nice job avoiding merges between FG rocks and canyon walls!

Morkel Erasmus
11-18-2009, 02:44 PM
thanks for the advice Dave & Roman...

taking successful pano's is next on my list of things to master :) <<not that I have mastered anything in photography yet>> ;)

David Thomasson
11-18-2009, 03:19 PM
David T - like your repost but I was iffy on using S/H any more because I really battled haloing when adjusting the cloud details :( will have a go again

Instead of S/H, try two curves adjustment layers, one to "dodge" and the other to "burn." Black mask, paint selectively.

Morkel Erasmus
11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
thanks David - many ways to skin this cat and I know so few :)

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Very nice Morkel, you had some interesting clouds to fill the void. Just coming back from Moab, Ut had lots of blue uninteresting sky so had to try to minimize the sky as much as possible.