PDA

View Full Version : Milkweed Pod

Anita Bower
11-17-2009, 07:57 AM
This is about all the color we have left here in southeast PA, USA. I think this photo lacks something, but don't know what. :confused:

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f5 (relative), 1/80, ISO 100, manual exposure, manual focus, tripod, outdoors on overcast day. PP: Elements 7, PS7, Topaz Adjust.

Dave Phillips
11-17-2009, 08:08 AM
like the look of this....even the color!!
"Might" try a bit of local contrast enhancement(USM at 12/50/0)
and bring up highlights just a wee bit more for definition

also a bit puzzled as to why you embed a monitor profile???

denise ippolito
11-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Anita, Beautiful composition and image design. Dave's repost really makes it pop. Very nicely done.

Anita Bower
11-17-2009, 04:29 PM
like the look of this....even the color!!
"Might" try a bit of local contrast enhancement(USM at 12/50/0)
and bring up highlights just a wee bit more for definition

Dave:
I love what you did with the photo, but am unsure of how you did it.
I assume USM means Unsharp Mask? How does that affect contrast? How do I do "local" contrast enhancement?
What did you do to brighten it? I tried curves, then contrast, but neither worked well. I then increased saturation, and think I got something like you did.

Thanks so much!
Anita

Dave Phillips
11-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Dave:
I love what you did with the photo, but am unsure of how you did it.
I assume USM means Unsharp Mask? How does that affect contrast? How do I do "local" contrast enhancement?
What did you do to brighten it? I tried curves, then contrast, but neither worked well. I then increased saturation, and think I got something like you did.

Thanks so much!
Anita

Hi Anita, Yes......USM is Unsharp Mask. Applying USM with a very high radius and
smaller amount has a clarifying(contrast enhancing) effect. Here is one link with some
elaboration. To brighten it, I only tightened the right side of thew histogram with
highlite slider in levels.....a global adjustment.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/techniques/local-contrast-enhancement.htm

this one also gives a decent explanation
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/ps-contrast.htm

Julie Kenward
11-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Anita, I basically did the same thing only I opened levels and hit "auto" and it popped this center whites. I think you could use a little more room at the top of the frame - it feels really tight to me up there.

It's really a gorgeous image - sweet bokeh and great colors in the BG. It's got to be one of the best milkweed plant photos I've ever seen. You could almost reach right out and touch those soft, fluffy pieces!

Danny J Brown
11-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Anita: We have milkweed all around the farm where I live but I've never made an image of one so beautiful. I really love the color and texture of the bokeh as well. Repost is very nice, as well.

Mike Moats
11-18-2009, 05:17 AM
Hey Anita, good eye to find this one, and nice set-up in the frame. I like both verions, the oroginal muted one looks great and so does Dave repost with the added contrast. Jules mentions adding a little on the top which would be fine, but I don't mind it as is.

Anita Bower
11-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the comments and the critiques that keep improving my photography! The specific explanations of how to iimprove an image are especially helpful. I learn so much on this forum!! :D

A common theme in my photos is not leaving enough room around the subject. I'll work on that, though it seems I favor a tight crop.

Anita :)

Anita Bower
11-18-2009, 06:35 AM
l

I'm not sure what a monitor profile is. I certainly didn't embed it on purpose. Is there something I could do differently? :confused:

Charles Wesley
11-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Anita,

You have one great eye for composition. I like both versions myself. Great use of a diagonal.
Thanks for sharing...

Jerry van Dijk
11-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Anita, this is wonderful! I might be the odd one out, but I actually prefer the original. I love the pastel coloring, which greatly fits the mood of the picture, even though it does have a bit of a light feel to it. I didn't notice the tight framing at the top until the others pointed it out, so not too distracted by that. Excellent composition.

Anita Bower
11-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Thank you, Jerry. I'm glad the composition doesn't seem to tight to you. I seem to crop tightly.