PDA

View Full Version : Coming Up For Air

Arthur Morris
11-16-2009, 07:11 PM
After a non-stop weekend of photography in the mornings and programs and live demos at Photo Expo West for the rest of the day, I finally have time to post something new.

This Marbled Godwit image was created at LaJolla, CA with the handheld 400mm f/4 IS DO lens and the EOS 50D. ISO 200. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/1000 at f/5.6.

To learn why I could not have created this image with the 800 check out the blog at www.BIRDSASART-Blog.com but give me an hour to finish today's post. (It is 4:09 pm Pacific Time now in San Diego.)

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Harshad Barve
11-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Guruji
As usual techs are spot on and compo of a maestro
Lovely BG and details , What I like most is pose of this bird ,
TFS

arash_hazeghi
11-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Very nice details and BG, I like how the feet are visible and there is just a little bit of water in FG to give this photo a wet feel, great display of habitat.

Enjoy La Jolla and SoCal weather!

Stu Bowie
11-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Lovely soft light Artie, and I like the casual pose. Overall sharp, and well exposed.

Leo Berzins
11-17-2009, 05:00 AM
Great pose, light and low angle Artie, but I find the greenish patch of background behind the bill a bit distracting.

Clement Francis
11-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Artie as always a master class shot

Rohan Kamath
11-17-2009, 05:35 AM
your images are like textbook guidelines for us newbies to learn... I loved the feet in this image... Something we don't usually see clearly in most shore waders...

-Cheers,
Rohan

Danny Laredo
11-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Sweet looking image Artie, love the light detail and BG here.

Mital Patel
11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
well not follwing wow's as wihtout saying its by default for you guru.

the only suggestion i would make is.
i just wish that white patches on the bg to be toned down. it grabs the attention

Arthur Morris
11-17-2009, 11:12 AM
well not follwing wow's as wihtout saying its by default for you guru. the only suggestion i would make is. i just wish that white patches on the bg to be toned down. it grabs the attention

Thanks Mital-bhai (and the rest!). I did add some black to the whites but I may try to work on that upper right corner a bit more.

Rich Steel
11-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Good job Artie. I like the colour combination in this photo and bird pops out well against the background surf. I do find the turquoise patch behind the bill a little distracting.

My limited efforts this year with the local Bar-tail Godwits has been plagued by beach dogwalkers. This is further compounded by the fact that I only have limited time due to work, they appear on the local beach during neap tides only but light direction is only good in the morning and the local pereguine causing havoc amongst the wader flocks at the moment. One day all these variables will be in my favour!

Cheers

Rich

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Artie...this is as perfect it can get. has your signature all over it. The light is gorgeous.

Mital Patel
11-17-2009, 12:22 PM
guru ji, taken some liberty by own to dare to build something that was in my mind. hope you like it if that ethically suits and permits.

Arthur Morris
11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
guru ji, taken some liberty by own to dare to build something that was in my mind. hope you like it if that ethically suits and permits.

Thanks Mital for the repost. Though most folks might be shocked I actually prefer the original post with the o-o-f waves in the BKGR. Go figure. BTW, you did a good job in Photoshop with your changes.

It looks as if you lightened the dark strip behind the bird's legs. Did you?

Mital Patel
11-17-2009, 12:38 PM
yes i did and i also added some of the water weaves on higher level too with little transperency as cloning.

Arthur Morris
11-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks Mital. I love that you lightened the dark strip. Exactly how did you do that?

Mital Patel
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
guruji its just simple i cloned out that dark line with the parallel left portion twice and merge so it look natural and no clone.

first separated bird part in layer taken portion of left in stamp tool and patch the dark area.

Arthur Morris
11-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks. You did well.

Raymond Barlow
11-17-2009, 02:20 PM
very nice image Artie, i do like Mital's edit, well done., the angle and background add a lot to this image, as does the very nice soft light.

Bonnie Block
11-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Excellent image, Artie. I am a big fan of more environmental shots--so I like your original image best ---the upper right does draw my eye a bit---and the darker wave line. I would lighten both.