PDA

View Full Version : ENP Flamingo

Alfred Forns
11-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Ospreys are starting to nest and becoming active. So far four pairs nesting. Also saw two Juvi eagles, one driving in the other at Flamingo. Should be a good season.... oh there are several Kestrels around.

Echo did not have much that one morning but got there at Sunrise not first light !! Tried Anhinga Trail week before and was slow but birds started showing up !!

.. while doing the Ospreys several flocks of white pelicans flew overhead ..impressive ... and one with about twenty anhingas !!!

Judd Patterson
11-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I'd estimate conservatively that there are already 450+ American White Pelicans in the bay surrounding Flamingo. Osprey are certainly beginning to nest...with a couple females acting like they are on eggs already.

Richard Peters
11-18-2009, 02:54 AM
I'll definitely be checking out Flamingo on my next trip. I arrive on the 17th Dec so if either of you fancy a Flamingo shoot just after that date let me know :)

Connie Mier
11-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Yeah, I'd estimate conservatively that there are already 450+ American White Pelicans in the bay surrounding Flamingo. Osprey are certainly beginning to nest...with a couple females acting like they are on eggs already.

I noticed a pattern with the white pelicans last year. An extremely large number of them (at best guess, a few hundred) come into the back bays near Pearl and Hells Bay during the day to feed. The waters were like fish soup back in there last year. They fly in during early morning and fly out in late afternoon, back to Flamingo area I suppose. I had the great opportunity to be sitting in the middle of one of those remote bays last January at about 7 am to be greeted by a hundred or so of them flying directly overhead. Those magnificently large wings made such a loud noise it reminded me of the sound of a large spinning fan. I sat in the canoe and watched almost 200 of them fly by. It was one of the best Everglades shows I have seen.
Connie

Judd Patterson
11-18-2009, 07:29 PM
That must have been a marvelous experience Connie. American White Pelicans rival California Condors for the longest wing span within North American birds (can be over 9 feet!!) and are so much fun to see in flight. I noticed a few dozen flying south along Biscayne Bay today too. Thanks for sharing...I really need to get into the backcountry down there.