PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid flares during sunset?

Nagesh Mula
11-16-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm sure this topic might have been discussed here a lot of times, but somehow I am unable to find one and hence posting this question.
I've been trying to photograph Sunset with rocks as FG which are placed far away (at about 300 feet away). I am using 100-400mm at 300mm with ND filters. Every time I tried and whatever angle I tried I could not avoid flares. I also tried the Hat method (i.e. by placing hat at an angle above the lens) but no use as I'm shooting sun directly placed at the top left corner.
I would really appreciate your advice here.

Thanks.

Desmond Chan
11-16-2009, 03:55 AM
I also tried the Hat method (i.e. by placing hat at an angle above the lens) but no use
as I'm shooting sun directly placed at the top left corner. I would really appreciate your advice here.

Thanks.

How about shooting when the sun is not that strong? How about under-exposure? How do you determine the exposure?

Roger Clark
11-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Changing exposures will not really help the problem, which sounds like reflections in the lens. Those reflections will be there at the same proportion. Sometimes there is a reflection between the front element of the lens and the filter, so if you can go short enough, then try removing the filter. With the sun in the frame, you can't block the light, so the only choices are 1) try a different lens (a fixed focal length lens usually has fewer elements so should be less prone to the problem), 2) wait for a day when clouds block some to the suns' intensity (and adds interest to the scene), or 3) try multiple images that you mosaic together later (use the same exposure): a frame lower down with the sun out of the frame, followed by a frame higher up with the sun. If the sun is directly in the center, the reflection might not be seen. Multiple positions could move the reflections around and then you can cut pieces without the reflections to mosaic.

Roger

Roger

Jeff Donald
11-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Remove any filters that are on the lens and also consider using a lens with few glass elements.

Stephen Feingold
11-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Using lenses with latest multicoatings reduce reflections. You may use a wider angle lens than needed and try to position the reflections at a corner or edge that can be cropped out.