PDA

View Full Version : Rookery at Night

Paul Marcellini
02-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Well haven't shot much lately, and been away from the boards but here is one from a few weeks back. A popular birding area in the Everglades, with a twist. That sky is made possible by Miami's light pollution. Guess one good thing comes from it. Those are anhingas and cormorants roosting for the night.

20d, 10-22, iso 200, f5.6, 156 sec

http://i29.tinypic.com/2mwwco5.jpg

Judd Patterson
02-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Hey Paul, very nice photograph. It pains me to say it, but I also like the colors here from the light pollution... It's nice that the birds show up at the tops of the pond apple. I'm wondering if this could use just a bit of CW rotation? Seems pretty level when I look in close, but the overall composition has the appearance of tilt, even if you did perhaps check it with a bubble level...maybe I'm crazy on that one. :) See you around...

Bret Edge
02-15-2008, 02:34 AM
That's a beautiful sky with some really interesting clouds, Paul. It does have the appearance of being tilted but I'm guessing the distant shore is just receding. Nice work!

Jason Hahn
02-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Nice take on this spot, very pretty colors, and I particularly like the sweeping lines of the clouds in contrast to the stillness of the water. I might consider cropping a bit off the top, I am not sure the black area adds a lot to the composition. I am also not sure if the tilt is real or an optical illusion, about the only way to tell is measure from something on land to its reflection and see if there is any shift in angle. Either way, great use of the long exposure to produce a really interesting shot.

Jason

Robert Amoruso
02-15-2008, 07:58 AM
This is very cool Paul. Instead of waiting for the birds to start doing something, you created art. I agree with Jason on the crop suggestion and checking for image rotation using a reflection. I just love this image.

Blake Shadle
02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
This is one of my favorite spots on the "the trail". Very nice work in making this image. It hurts me as well that the light pollution of Miami worked out so nicely here. I agree with Judd that it might need a bit of rotation.

Paul Marcellini
02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys, sorry to make you all enjoy the light pollution. =) It is indeed straight. You can tell by looking at the water line on the pond apples individually. Maybe I will do a bit of a rotation just to soothe everyone's initial conclusion. Thanks again.