PDA

View Full Version : Magenta & White Amarylis

Charles Wesley
11-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Another one from the garden. Tried a non conventional style. Did not wait for a bloom. Not sure if I like the new flower forming on the stem.

Canon 5D, Sigma 180 mm HS DG macro f/3.5 and tripod. Natural light early morning.

D.P.P.
PS/ CS4
FocalBlade

Mike Moats
11-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey Charlie, good details, great colors and BG. Good looking lighting.

Alfred Forns
11-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Lovely image Charles Just as presented for me, great detail and texture !!! Bg is just sweet and love the presentation !!!

Anita Bower
11-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Gorgeous colors! Beautiful textures and curves. The BG is gorgeous--smooth, and it seems to be slightly darker on each side of the flower which brings the focus to the bud. The new flower forming on the stem doesn't bother me. The only thing I might have done differently is taken a bit more off the left side, but, this is minor.

Charles Wesley
11-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Mike, Alfred and Anita,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a huge fan of my 42" PhotoFlex diffuser. Bought during a course with Rod Planck about 20 years ago. Do like using two at a time. They really compress the shadows and highlights down and are great to stop wind my biggest issue with macro photography.

Anita Bower
11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Mike, Alfred and Anita,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a huge fan of my 42" PhotoFlex diffuser. Bought during a course with Rod Planck about 20 years ago. Do like using two at a time. They really compress the shadows and highlights down and are great to stop wind my biggest issue with macro photography.

Charles: I use a small diffuser, which I usually hand hold. With the 42" ones, what types of supports do you use for them? Also, are the diffusers the type that fold up? I know what you mean about wind!
Anita :)

Charles Wesley
11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Anita,

I use almost anything to lean on my PF diffusers. Several sticks, my bean bags at times by hand whatever I can think of. They definitely fold up. It's best not to think about it when you fold them or you'll screw up.

Anita Bower
11-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Anita,

I use almost anything to lean on my PF diffusers. Several sticks, my bean bags at times by hand whatever I can think of. They definitely fold up. It's best not to think about it when you fold them or you'll screw up.

Thanks for the reply.
Anita

Julie Kenward
11-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Neat image, Charles. I also love the colors and the DOF is perfect. Like Anita, I think a bit off the left could balance the image a little better. I don't mind the flower on the stem but would have liked to have seen the entire part in (if it didn't add too much stem to the image.) I like how the color in that future bud repeats the color of the main bud.