PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom in the forest

Roman Kurywczak
02-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Taken in a local NJ park with the Canon Digital Rebel with a 180mm Sigma Macro lens and a Canon 1.4 teleconverter and a 20mm extension tube. Lit with the Canon MT 24 macro twin lights, hand held, laying on the ground on an overcast day.
The magnification on this puts it almost????? 2 to1 magnification. Feels like Gulivers' Travels. Opinions always welcome.
Roman

Small Group Photo Tours
www.roaminwithroman.com (http://www.roaminwithroman.com)

Alfred Forns
02-14-2008, 10:14 PM
All worked well for this image Roman Love the towering mushroom The low approach sure gives a special perspective Got sufficient dof at the close distance you were shooting Excellent bg and love the green touch !!!! Big Congrats !!!!

Being able to get some from the bottom really makes it for me !!!

Robert O'Toole
02-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Very interesting Roman, the image has a lot going for it subject, good details, nice colors, I like how the view is upwards so you can see under the cap.

The only thing that could be better is light quality, to me the light looks flat and a little dull, but a fine photo still.

Robert

edward saltau
02-14-2008, 11:20 PM
a very cool subject and great detail. Definitely looks like a giant mushroom tree on the edge of a rocky cliff as opposed to a tiny fungus.
The light from these twin flashes and ring flashes seems very unnatural to me. I don't know if i've ever encountered a situation in nature where the light comes from all around the subject.

Jeroen Stel
02-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Hi Roman,

I like how you have included some of the BG in this shot.
Also the exposure handling with the twin flash worked out well and sure is not easy with these type of subjects.

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

John Cooper
02-15-2008, 04:13 AM
Hi Roman, I like the low angle here showing the gill detail along with the texture and patterns of the BG. Agree with Robert that the lighting is a bit flat - common with twin flash either side of lens and at same output.

D. Robert Franz
02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Roman I like the composition just fine but I'm not crazy about the lighting. Never been a big fan of the macro tiwn lights. Light is to flat. Natural light may have worked better.since it was shot on an overcast day. To help illuminate the underside of the mushromm you might have tried bouncing some flash off a a gold or silver reflector. Not full flash mind you just a dusting.....

Mike Moats
02-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey Roman, very cool shot. The srhoom looks great and the BG works really well with the main subject.