PDA

View Full Version : Tetons

Michael Lloyd
11-15-2009, 12:30 AM
I feel kind of bad about posting this landscape shot over the others that I have taken over the last three weeks. It's not the most recent or first but it is my favorite and it has the best memories attached to it (like being 20' away from a feeding cow moose and 3 year old bull moose). I'll try to put some Monument Valley, Yellowstone, and Bosque stuff up later.

EOS 1DsMK3 manual
24-70 f2.8L @ 24mm (hand held)

ISO 200
1/50@ f20

Danny J Brown
11-15-2009, 04:37 PM
God, I love the Tetons, and you have done well to bring back memories of a visit there this summer. The blues in this photo are just gorgeous and the line of rusty color below the mountains ain't too bad either. I like the composition as well but would have liked it better with one of those moose in the foreground (smile). I do wish the mountains themselves were a bit crisper but I'm just being picky there. Thanks.

Roman Kurywczak
11-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey Michael,
Looks like you had a great roadtrip. You know me and time of day.....so will only briefly mention that. Sweet reflection and nice job minimizing the sky. I like the inclusion of the FG grasses to break up the mirror image....maybe just a hir more of base to keep the LH side from being so close. Pushing your luck at 1/50 HH...but looks sharp on this end!
Looking forward to more from the trip!

Dave Mills
11-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi Michael, Agree with Roman regarding time of day and I would also like a bit more of the foreground base.
Your technicals are good along with a nice reflection. If this were mine I might have concentrated more on the right 2/3rds of the image which might have made a stronger comp...

Michael Lloyd
11-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks guys. Actually... if not for one of my hiking partners bringing her 24-70 I would have completely missed this shot. I was carrying a 300 f2.8 and looking for moose (found them too :)) )

I agree with all points, especially comp. In hindsight I would have loved to have moved to the right a few feet and rotated to the left a little.

Time of day... truth be known I used some (quick and easy) photoshop tricks that I learned in a fine art printing workshop to add some depth to the image otherwise this image would be a dud imho. It was way too late but... it's better than not shooting it at all and I spent the morning hours watching a pack of 9 wolves do their thing so all in all this image brings back great memories.

Roman Kurywczak
11-16-2009, 10:25 AM
......... I spent the morning hours watching a pack of 9 wolves do their thing so all in all this image brings back great memories.
Oh....I'll be looking for those and the moose shots!

Grady Weed
11-19-2009, 05:01 PM
The blues just grab me here. Very deep. Other points covered well.

Roger Clark
11-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Michael,
This is a striking image. I think the image needs rotating counter clockwise a bit. It is tough to see that with the horizon line. but check the reflection of the main peak: it should be directly below the real image. Same with other peaks. I would crop the right edge a little.

Rog

Michael Lloyd
11-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Ah! I agree. I could never figure out what to use to correct the horizon. It never occured to me to align the peaks with the reflection. Thank you! I also agree with cropping the right edge.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Very nice Michael, you sure had a awesome trip looking forward to more